Pulled inner tie rod out - How serious?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Oct 8, 2018
Threads
21
Messages
668
Location
N. Texas
I was trying to pull the nut off the bottom of the lower control arm for the ball joint, and while attempting to break the nut free, I managed to pull the inner tie rod out. I was able to push it back in with a solid shove. The boots are still intact.

Do I need to open the boot and check it out, or am I good to run it as is?
 
I was trying to pull the nut off the bottom of the lower control arm for the ball joint, and while attempting to break the nut free, I managed to pull the inner tie rod out. I was able to push it back in with a solid shove. The boots are still intact.

Do I need to open the boot and check it out, or am I good to run it as is?

I was trying to pull the nut off the bottom of the lower control arm for the ball joint, and while attempting to break the nut free, I managed to pull the inner tie rod out. I was able to push it back in with a solid shove. The boots are still intact.

Do I need to open the boot and check it out, or am I good to run it as is?
How far pulled out? 2”? if you can pull the inner tie rod several inches out of the rack by hand, that's not normal. If it only moved slightly while the steering was loaded and then seated firmly with no looseness, the risk is lower. Tear into it I think, you found an issue that needs investigation, imo
 
Nevermind. It was the axle. I must have been real tired when I posted this.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom