Pros and Cons of an 8" rim on a 37" tire

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by buffethat@comcast.ne, Feb 25, 2007.

1. buffethat@comcast.ne

buffethat@comcast.ne

I have some brand new 37" GY MTR's that are mounted on 15x8's. They will be mounted on a 85 4Runner 3" wider all around. I am thinking I want to go to 10" rims so the side walls are straighter and a little wider stance. Most of the ones I have found have a 3.75" BS.

What are the pros and cons of each size rim?

2. ajfriz

ajfriz

It depends on the width of the tire. I assume it's a 12.50. I know a lot of guys that are running 8" rims so that they can air down and not blow a bead. If you keep the air pressure where it's supposed to be (35 psi I think) it can give you abnormal wear in the center of the tire. I am currently running a 12.50 on a 6" rim. I didn't know they were as skinny as they were until I took the old tires off which were 10.50. The 10.50s did not look like they were bulged or anything implying that it wasn't such a skinny rim. I am switching to 8" rims as soon as I can so that I won't destroy my tires in 5,000 miles.

3. slickrok

slickrok

Stick with the 8's you will be just fine. I have ran 35" and 33" tires (MTR's and BFG Muds) on this size wheel, never lost a bead and also have had very good wear characteristics. With a 10" you might lose a bead quicker and will not gain anything in the wear/flotaion dept..........or very little.

4. BudKing

BudKing

I run the same tire on 7 inch wide rims
    I like it with no problems

5. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

I have 37 x 12.5 Cooper STT's on Tundra 7.5's, only had them a couple of weeks, but liking them.
    37_2.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.