1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pros and Cons of an 8" rim on a 37" tire

Discussion in '95-older Toyota Truck Tech' started by buffethat@comcast.ne, Feb 25, 2007.

1. buffethat@comcast.ne

buffethat@comcast.ne

I have some brand new 37" GY MTR's that are mounted on 15x8's. They will be mounted on a 85 4Runner 3" wider all around. I am thinking I want to go to 10" rims so the side walls are straighter and a little wider stance. Most of the ones I have found have a 3.75" BS.

What are the pros and cons of each size rim?

2. ajfriz

ajfriz

It depends on the width of the tire. I assume it's a 12.50. I know a lot of guys that are running 8" rims so that they can air down and not blow a bead. If you keep the air pressure where it's supposed to be (35 psi I think) it can give you abnormal wear in the center of the tire. I am currently running a 12.50 on a 6" rim. I didn't know they were as skinny as they were until I took the old tires off which were 10.50. The 10.50s did not look like they were bulged or anything implying that it wasn't such a skinny rim. I am switching to 8" rims as soon as I can so that I won't destroy my tires in 5,000 miles.

3. slickrok

slickrok

Stick with the 8's you will be just fine. I have ran 35" and 33" tires (MTR's and BFG Muds) on this size wheel, never lost a bead and also have had very good wear characteristics. With a 10" you might lose a bead quicker and will not gain anything in the wear/flotaion dept..........or very little.

4. BudKing

BudKing

I run the same tire on 7 inch wide rims
    I like it with no problems

5. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

I have 37 x 12.5 Cooper STT's on Tundra 7.5's, only had them a couple of weeks, but liking them.
    37_2.jpg