Propane Tank Cost Rant (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Ok, so I really, really don't need the standard size 20lb propane tank for my offroad needs any longer, just occasional propane fire pit usage. The 20 lb one I had mounted on the trailer stayed with the trailer. The little bottles are just fine for the standard Coleman stove but not for the fire pit.

Standard tank runs around $20 at Costco plus another $20 to fill and they are bulky. The smaller 10 lb versions run over $60 if you can find them!
:worms::bang::bang::bang::eek::censor::worms::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

I suppose I could just do the exchange ones at Home Depot.

Rant off! :mad:

I hear you. I want a 5lb propane tank for compactness, but they cost more than a 20lb one. So I end up sticking with the Coleman-style 1lb disposables.

A little math shows that after more than 24 lbs of propane the 10-lb tank is cheaper despite it's $60 cost, cheaper than the 1-lb throw-aways.

Assuming about $1/lb of propane then for 24 lbs. The total cost using 10-lb tank is $84.
For 1 lb propane throw-aways ($3.50 each at Walmart). The total cost is also $84.

So basically you would recover the cost of the 10 lb propane tank after 2 and a half tankfuls. And you get the good feeling of having not thrown away 24 metal canisters into the landfill.

It's even cheaper if you use the 20-lb tank but a 10-lb is more convenient, and if you care to refill the 1 lb canisters that changes the trade-off.

Personally, I have absolute no use of propane when camping....and just use white gas, easier to carry, more energy content per gallon but more expensive.

Personally, I have absolute no use of propane when camping....and just use white gas, easier to carry, more energy content per gallon but more expensive.

I use white gas when I'm mountaineering in winter conditions. I consider white gas relatively cheap in cost. But that's probably because I'm comparing it to the expensive backpacking canisters with Lindal valves.

I typically use just under 2.0 lbs of propane for a 9 day trip: hot breakfast, cold lunch, and hot dinner. So I'd need to spend 108 days in the backcountry to "break even" on the 10lb propane tank. I wish i can get 108 consecutive days offs.

I refill my little 1lb canisters so I don't throw them away.

I refill my little 1lb canisters so I don't throw them away.
Then you pretty much always win on the cost side over all the tank alternatives!

I have heard that it's not recommended to refill them because the pressure relief valve are not designed to last. Despite that, if I were to use propane, I wouldn't hesitate to refill them a few times. How many times do you refill them?

Then you pretty much always win on the cost side over all the tank alternatives!

I have heard that it's not recommended to refill them because the pressure relief valve are not designed to last. Despite that, if I were to use propane, I wouldn't hesitate to refill them a few times. How many times do you refill them?

I know about the warnings on not refilling them. In all the years I've been doing it, I've only had one bottle valve fail to reseal after filling. I've never kept track of the number of times I've refilled them. Not a bad idea, just never have.

Did bite the bullet and ordered an 10 pounder off Amazon for $55 last night. It's more for the propane fire pit than cooking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom