Project: I didn't want a project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This truck I tell ya :bang:. Spent a bit this morning flushing the power steering, that went pretty well. Then jumped back on troubleshooting the PS windows that were inop. I tested continuity on the door harness and the switch and everything looked great, even pulled the door grommet/sheath to check for broken wires. Then jumped to tearing apart the DS door and Bob's yer uncle. Look at this BS :poop:

I solder as part of my job so no big deal, and I'm glad to have found the issue- but seriously my 45 year old hilux has better looking wires.

I like the chargey thingy. I guess those wires just flexed a few too many times over the last 20 years? What's the fix there - put in some longer sections of new wire so it doesn't all try to bend in the same place, or just patch em up and let that ride?

I like the chargey thingy. I guess those wires just flexed a few too many times over the last 20 years? What's the fix there - put in some longer sections of new wire so it doesn't all try to bend in the same place, or just patch em up and let that ride?
Yeah basically to splice in and solder a new section.

I didn't splice anything in. Theres plenty of slack in the door where it doubles back. Soldered, heat shrink, electrical tape inside the accordion- un-spliced wires in the cab have a bit of a bend to make up for the 3/16 overlap on the soldered wires. Everything works A-OK now, I'm going to celebrate by drinking heavily.

One of the bonuses of tearing the door panels off is that I was able to remove the torn speaker grille cloth and paint the honeycombs with Krylon Fusion satin khaki. Not a perfect match, but not bad

It's been a while since I updated, tried a few things to lick that P0171 code- maintenance items mostly, plugs, coil boots, gas cap. I think techstream is in my future so I can monitor the trims instead of throwing parts at it. Did some front end work today, and man what a difference! My shocks were shagged, so I replaced them and the sway bar links/bushings. Also got some new tierod ends put in, I used Moog from Rockauto and they ended up being 555 from Japan which was nice. First time doing those, wasn't too bad. Ride is much improved, and the clunk is gone- here's the source of that clunk :oops:
20201011_180156.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom