power steering fluid temperature

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Sep 2, 2010
Threads
108
Messages
411
Location
Western Massachusetts
I've just replaced my chevy power steering pump used in my mini-truck setup.The first one lasted maybe 1000 miles and failed from overheating, I think.
I've now installed an in line derale finned cooler and checked the temperature with one of those pistol type temp reader after a good ride and about a 5 minute idle. Does anyone know what an acceptable temperature for the pump,cooler and steering box? Mine read 170 at the pump, box and cooler and 300 degrees at the header pipe that's about 2 inches from the steering box.
Any insight into these temps being normal or too hot would be greatly appreciated.
 
If you haven't it would be good to figure a way to protect the steering box from the exhaust pipe heat.

Can you measure the FLUID temperature as it enters and exits your cooler? I think that if the return fluid is at or near your 170* it would be cool enough but I'd want to know how hot it is as it leaves the steering box. If it's near that 300* level it's too hot in there.

Like an auto trans an even fluid temp throughout will add life - something less than a max of 220* or so. The steering system doesn't carry a big amount of fluid so I wouldn't like the idea of the small amount being constantly cycled between 300* and 170*.
 
If you haven't it would be good to figure a way to protect the steering box from the exhaust pipe heat.

Can you measure the FLUID temperature as it enters and exits your cooler? I think that if the return fluid is at or near your 170* it would be cool enough but I'd want to know how hot it is as it leaves the steering box. If it's near that 300* level it's too hot in there

Like an auto trans an even fluid temp throughout will add life - something less than a max of 220* or so. The steering system doesn't carry a big amount of fluid so I wouldn't like the idea of the small amount being constantly cycled between 300* and 170*.
Thanks, I'm going to have to check it again but when I did it the one time it seemed to be the same temp throughout the system. It didn't seem to be any cooler as it came out of the cooler.
I'm going to put a sheat shield on the box for sure, it's the closet part to the headers. You think the 170* figure is acceptable?
 
176° F or higher.

image.webp
 
Curtislow, since you quoted me read that I said that the 170* OUT OF THE COOLER is cool enough but that an even temp overall of something less than 220* or less would be good. Not that 170* is necessarily acceptable. It's definitely better than boiling the fluid out of there at 300*.

More than one vehicle fire has been caused by auto tranny fluid getting so hot that it pukes out of the filler pipe or any other opening onto exhaust pipes or manifolds. The minitruck PS box as we make conversions comes out too close to the exhaust for us to let the fluid get hot enough to do something like that.
 
Curtislow, since you quoted me read that I said that the 170* OUT OF THE COOLER is cool enough but that an even temp overall of something less than 220* or less would be good. Not that 170* is necessarily acceptable. It's definitely better than boiling the fluid out of there at 300*.

More than one vehicle fire has been caused by auto tranny fluid getting so hot that it pukes out of the filler pipe or any other opening onto exhaust pipes or manifolds. The minitruck PS box as we make conversions comes out too close to the exhaust for us to let the fluid get hot enough to do something like that.
Thanks, I'm going to keep watching it and check the temp several more times,also I'm going to add a heat shield at the gearbox. It seems like 170* - 200* is a good range.
 
Back
Top Bottom