Power Steering Disconnected (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got an ‘89 3.0. I need to get one of the fittings that screws into the power steering pump that the hose attaches to.

can I take a the power steering belt off the pump and drive without the pump affecting the power steering, or will this mess up the steering box?

I think you will be fine. I drove my 86' 4runner after doing a SAS and a 302 V8 swap and I had the power steering pump disconnected for 2yrs before making some custom brackets and hooking the pump back up. I didn't have any problems with the steering box once the pump was reconnected. But I was going from a 22re to a 302, Im not faimilar with the 3.0, does it have it's own belt that is strictly turning the power steering pump like the 22Re? If so then I think you should be fine, especially if your only going to have it disconnected for s short period of time until you get the fitting replaced.

I think you will be fine. I drove my 86' 4runner after doing a SAS and a 302 V8 swap and I had the power steering pump disconnected for 2yrs before making some custom brackets and hooking the pump back up. I didn't have any problems with the steering box once the pump was reconnected. But I was going from a 22re to a 302, Im not faimilar with the 3.0, does it have it's own belt that is strictly turning the power steering pump like the 22Re? If so then I think you should be fine, especially if your only going to have it disconnected for s short period of time until you get the fitting replaced.

Nice! Thanks for the reply. Yes, single belt for the power steering pump, and it doesn’t power/drive anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom