Power steering box help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently rebuilt my power steering gear box. After reinstalling, I’ve had a problem where when I’m reverse, with my steering wheel turned all they way to the right, my steering gets stuck, and I have to put it in drive and move forward a hair to get it to unlock. What could be causing this?

Did you get all your balls back in?
And did you get them all back in their 3-thread ball track?
When one or two of my balls fell out of the track and were rattling around inside the power piston space (one in front of the piston and one behind it) I noticed the travel of the piston (by moving the pitman arm) would bind up at the extremities of the travel (all the way left or right).
Thankfully noticed this before reinstalling so was able to figure it out w/o much ado.
Will say tho that I ran a couple balls short of the total amount for a few months, also w/o much ado, albeit a smidge heavier feeling. But they were all in the tracks too, so none were free rolling and had no binding going on.

Did you get all your balls back in?
And did you get them all back in their 3-thread ball track?
When one or two of my balls fell out of the track and were rattling around inside the power piston space (one in front of the piston and one behind it) I noticed the travel of the piston (by moving the pitman arm) would bind up at the extremities of the travel (all the way left or right).
Thankfully noticed this before reinstalling so was able to figure it out w/o much ado.
Will say tho that I ran a couple balls short of the total amount for a few months, also w/o much ado, albeit a smidge heavier feeling. But they were all in the tracks too, so none were free rolling and had no binding going on.
This could be it. But I hope not, I really don’t want to take that stupid thing back off.

This could be it. But I hope not, I really don’t want to take that stupid thing back off.
Well barring something else more obvious of course.
It is a heavy so'n so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom