Power Steering BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Developed power steering whine on my LHD Spanish BJ73. I'm not overly familiar with these trucks so was hoping for a little input from the experts. 1986 BJ73 3B 5 speed.

Fluid level is good and pump appears to be circulating but haven't dove into it completely yet, whine developed after sitting almost a year. Can anyone tell me what parts are compatible that are available stateside if it is the box or turns out to be the pump? TIA

Developed power steering whine on my LHD Spanish BJ73. I'm not overly familiar with these trucks so was hoping for a little input from the experts. 1986 BJ73 3B 5 speed.

Fluid level is good and pump appears to be circulating but haven't dove into it completely yet, whine developed after sitting almost a year. Can anyone tell me what parts are compatible that are available stateside if it is the box or turns out to be the pump? TIA
I have a spanish BJ73 as well I swapped out the motor and put in a 1HZ motor. However, I am having an issue with my power steering box and looking for the same answers you are looking for. I am considering putting in a Hydraulic Steering Assist.

Hey. I'm also owning a spanish Bj73 LHD 1985.
What is actually whining? The pump, the steering box or the V-belt?
The V-belt is quite long, so it whines quite quick when loose or worn. It also has a tensioning pulley with a bearing that might whine when worn.
In steering box and pump there are several options that can cause whining. In any case an overhaul of the component is due then. So we would need to know which component it is before talking any further.
Recommend to check on the V-belt first and change fluid. That's easy. If that doesn't help, you need to identify the whining component first.
Regards
Ralf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom