Power Loss With Synthetic Motor Oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=9214;start=msg80625#msg80625 date=1072473878]
Is there a reason you haven't just drained and filled with the old oil. It would seem reasonable before too much time elapses and other variables might get mixed in.
[/quote]

Well, that's another thought. But if i indeed dump the Mobil 1 15w 50, I think i will just add either 0w40 or 5w30 Mobil 1 instead. I suppose I could run another run of Valvoline 5w30 for a temporary time just to see if power increases. Actually, here's a thought, dump the Mobil 15w50, use Valvoline 5w30 (original oil), add BG 44K fuel injector cleaner (the absolute best IMO), run the tank that has the 44K in it and then go back to Mobil 1 but use 0w40 or 5w30 instead. Whaddya all think? Thanks; you all are awesome. Many :beer:s For All! Thanks

If you are going to drain the 15w-50 any why not use the BK44 before you do that. If it is an injector problem then it might be cured and then you will never know if the heavy oil was the problem. I don't think you are going to be able to perceive any real power increases by going with lighter oil. How long have you had this turbo and what gauges are you monitoring? If relatively new I think you're just experiencing the normal euphoria wearing off and getting accustomed to normal performance. Otherwise you may have some other reason behind the problem.

This may be a totally off-the-wall thought, but have you checked your PCV valve lately? If it was bad, and you were "burning" oil, it may make a difference if you're burning dino vs synth. Who know?! Worth taking a look at anyway. Otherwise, it may be the MTBE or EtOH.
Tom

[quote author=ppc link=board=2;threadid=9214;start=msg80658#msg80658 date=1072479545]
If you are going to drain the 15w-50 any why not use the BK44 before you do that. If it is an injector problem then it might be cured and then you will never know if the heavy oil was the problem. I don't think you are going to be able to perceive any real power increases by going with lighter oil. How long have you had this turbo and what gauges are you monitoring? If relatively new I think you're just experiencing the normal euphoria wearing off and getting accustomed to normal performance. Otherwise you may have some other reason behind the problem.
[/quote]

I have had this vehicle for less than 1000 miles so far and trust me, this thing is really a rocket, the other owner had it rated at 350 HP conservatively and you can feel it. No exaggeration, this thing is a rocket. Maybe I made this thread into something it is not; the decrease in power is so slight that it is hard to feel but trust me I feel it. I am not worried as such; with so much power, it still screams but I was wondering why there would be any loss of power at all with the only variable being the better oil? I am not trying to tell the list that this loss of power was significant, it was not, just enough to feel. So, my only question is what is the ideal weight of Mobil 1 to use with this vehicle and as I wrote earlier, the fine folks at Slee stated that the 15w50 was wonderful BUT i never asked about another weight like 0w40. Basically anything Ben or Christo suggest I will follow but I am trying to be considerate of their time so I want to avoid taking too much time to call them and ask them until after I ask the consensus from the list. Again, thanks for all the advice. I am impressed!!! :beer: For All!

I would try the M1 Delvac as that is what the semis fun year round.
There is a guy on the list that lives in the UP of MI. I think he runs M1 15w50 year round???

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=9214;start=msg80682#msg80682 date=1072483451]
I would try the M1 Delvac as that is what the semis fun year round.
There is a guy on the list that lives in the UP of MI. I think he runs M1 15w50 year round???
[/quote]

That's me. Different engine - 3FE in a 90 F62. I will say that my engine with Mobil 1 15W-50 definitely starts easier in cold weather than it did with dino 10W-30 oil - it had no effect on seat of the pants horsepower, however.

As an experiment I am currently using the cary-recommended blend of 5 quarts of 15W-50 and 3 of 5W-30 - just changed my oil last weekend to this, in fact. I'm using the blend because my local WalMart does not carry the 0W-40. I noticed no change in cold starts compared to pure 15W-50, but I note a slightly higher oil pressure on the crappy stock gauge - about 1 mm higher needle position at any given rpm. Not sure what this means or if it even makes sense. ???

I change my oil about every 2000 miles so it probably doesn't make any difference what I use. :p

[quote author=turbocruiser link=board=2;threadid=9214;start=msg80569#msg80569 date=1072462165]
Hi, to be truthful I have no idea if in the safari turbo system there is an oil pressure actuated waste gate, anyone know? But, after reading all the posts and searching about a thousand more I think I might switch to 0w40. I think that is what Cary runs and he seems to know this stuff. BTW thanks again for all the advice, and I just want all to know that I did immediately use the search tool, it is awesome, I know the oil thing is discussed to death but with the turbo I thought there was enough difference to do a separate thread? Hope that was okay. Anyway thanks for the advice and any more votes on what weight Mobil1 I should settle on? Thanks and :beer: For All.
[/quote]

did the truck come with any manual for the turbo system? safari's site is not very informative, even if this is not the source of your troubles I would get together any documentation you can for that turbo as having a turbo will change a lot of maintenance and troubleshooting you will do on the truck, understanding how it works might save you a lot of $$$ in the future

I doubt that slightly higher drag could be felt the difference is very small and partialy offset by better gas sealing of the piston rings

looking at pictures on their we site the turbo system looks all hydro mechanical so oil properties might very well affect its operation

a long shot is if the turbo was run with dino (bad idea a turbo is hard on oil) the actuator may have been coked up, synthetic has stronger cleaning properties (although not that good) possibly removing some of that varnish and coke again changing when the waste gate opens and closes

I keep coming back to the turbo as that is the place where oil can have a direct effect on the breathing of the motor and can have real effects on power, in the rest of the jobs oil does the difference between thin wore out dino and thick synthetic should be very subtle and mostly for the better

back to that carbon cleaning and synthetic, how many miles with turbo and dino oil? change your filter for safety, it may be clogged

turbocruiser,
>> I really think what it is is the crankshaft plowing through a much thicker oil <<
>> resulting in some slight loss of power. <<

Your crankshaft does not get lubricated by "plowing through" oil in the sump. That would be very bad if it did, as the oil would get aerated.

raventi has offered you the most logical explanations if there is, in fact, a decrease in performance.

-B-

Well, I wanted to report the results of switching from Mobil1 15w50 to 0w40. First, I received lots of suggestions on systems to look at like the fuel system and turbo system as well as tune up things but before I worked on those things I wanted to work on only one variable, specifically the one variable that was different which was the different weight oil. I am happy to report that there was an incredible improvement in performance between the 15w50 and the 0w40!!! The throttle response and turbo response are much faster with the lighter oil. The turbo in particular has much less lag, in fact there is no lag as such at all; it is more of a short predictable pause and then the turbo is engaged. If pressing the pedal would initiate a downshift, the turbo is engaged as soon as the transmission is shifted, and if a downshift is not initiated, the turbo is on half seconds after the pedal is squeezed! The effect of this is terrifically improved acceleration.
After reading all the awesome posts and learning a lot, I am now wondering if there was ever a loss of power; I think it most likely was a loss of throttle response and turbo response? I think that perhaps the heavier oil hinders the turbo? This is an uneducated guess but what the hell, we all have to have a theory right !?! Anyway, you all rock, I appreciate all the advice and assistance. If anyone wants to share a theory or thought on this subject, I would love to learn more! Thanks, :beer: :beer: :beer: For All!

Boy am I late to the party.

You probably experienced a drop in throttle response due to the heavier oil slowing spool up ever so slightly. Also there was more drag on the motor. 15w-50 is okay for a turbo motor in the summer, but I would not run it below 38F. The 0w-40 should work great year around.

Cary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom