Portable AC for Camping? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All, anyone have any experience with portable AC units for camping and the like. I love to camp throughout the year but the :princess: does not like to be hot. So I was looking into one of these

PAC8000SREM Koldfront 8,000 BTU Ultra Compact Portable Air Conditioner

I don't know if a 12volt unit would be practical with the amp draw or not

Any feed back is greatly appreciated

Thanks

For 12VDC you are looking at 30 to 50 Amps minimum and you will need a huge battery bank and the means to recharge it. It can be done, but 400 Amp hours is the minimum for the battery bank size and then that will only cool a small well insulated space for 8ish hours. Think sleeper cab on a semi truck.

If you use an air conditioner in a tent the outside of the tent will be soaked as there is no insulation.

much cheaper and happier for everybody if the :princess: stays in a nearby hotel? :)

Yeah that has been done too.... Just looking at alternatives for places where Hotel is not an option

Go swimming often.

Sorry, no help here for a portable AC unit, but a couple strategically-placed reusable ice packs from the 12 volt camping fridge are helpful, I find. On the lower back when first getting in to bed cools down the whole body after 15-20 minutes, leaving a t-shirt on or covering the pack with fabric to protect the skin. Doesn't have to be solid ice though that's best for me, just good and cold will help.

Oldskool -

Cooler with a bag of ice. Small "D" battery powder fan. Open lid of cooler (newer ones have small hatches). Place battery fan over cooler and direct to area/cot/sleeping bag you want cooled. By the time you relax in front of the fan your chilled...in a short time your zipped up in the bag cold as heck. Works nicely in a tent and the water can be recycled for coffee in the morning.

Newskool -

Buy a Honda 1000/2000 generator (expensive, but very quiet), the smallest/cheapest window unit you can buy at the end of season that will fire-up with the gen. you have. Fabricate cloth duct work (like military tent AC duct work) from the A/C unit and into the tent via the door or on newer tents they have AC/DC ports. You can use safety pins to hook it to the tent and/or suspend it from the top of the tent (more efficient due to the cold air falling). Keep the AC unit outside and tilted for the condensation to run away from the unit, tent and Gen. Run the AC long enough to get the tent cool, by the time it gets dark it's cold and you can turn it off. PROBLEM: you don't want to leave your Honda unsecured...they tend to walk off...Condensation can be an issue as well.

Or...rent a pool boy to fan her...

Good luck

Here ya go!
hvac.jpg

That thoughts crossed my mind several times in the central Cali summer heat:lol:

Thats Effing funny! I knew this post would open me up to a lot of ridicule. :flipoff2:

Hey All, anyone have any experience with portable AC units for camping and the like. I love to camp throughout the year but the :princess: does not like to be hot. So I was looking into one of these

PAC8000SREM Koldfront 8,000 BTU Ultra Compact Portable Air Conditioner

I don't know if a 12volt unit would be practical with the amp draw or not

Any feed back is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Honeywell? This is the smallest AC I know. As long as you can power it, I think it should allow you to enjoy a cool summer camp.
Amazon product ASIN B00IINNL9I

swamp cooler!

Hello, black Op. In my opinion, air conditioning in the camping is the waste of money. It's much better to spend this money on the quality tent made of a material that gives a deaf shadow.

But if you want you can use a portable air conditioner. My friend from the aircon servicing said that there are a couple of good models of portable aircons. If you want you can consult them socool.sg. Also, there is smart technology with its cooling pilows. You can see it in the network.

Best combo I saw for this is a 4Wheelcamper with an AC in the back mounted on an old military trailer (M1001 or something). Still sort of "camping," but definitely glamping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom