Poor mans trans flush

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to do the drain-fill, repeat... flush on my transmission because I have no idea if the fluid has ever been changed.

I read several posts on this but I am not clear on which trans cooling line I need to disconnect at the rad and drop into my 5 gallon bucket. I know it is the hot line from the trans to the rad but which one of the two is it on a 96?

Also, if the pan has never been dropped I wonder if I should have this done to just clean out the pan prior to the flush. Also, is there a common trans filter/gasket kit I can get at the dealer or is it no longer available.

Thanks,

Top fitting on trans cooler is the outlet. Dropping the is easy, good thing to do on a new to you vehicle. It might help you tell the condition of the tranny by looking at the filter. Make sure you remove the dip stick tube and dip stick prior to removal. Just 2 bolts one on the tranny and one on the intake manifold. Dont forget to reinstall the magnets in the pan if you remove them.

The tranny pan gasket maker will need to be removed off the pan and either gasket maker can be used or the gasket from napa that works great. Search here for the P/N

I also took a 5 gallon bucket and poured water in 2 quart increments and marked it with a marker up to 18 quarts. This helps you only pump out 2 quarts out at a time. It helps if you have enough clear tubing to reach the drivers side while you turn on and off the truck. The fluid does not come out super fast.

Thanks Rwhat,

In the long run, will the Toyota brand gasket maker hold up longer than using the Napa gasket?

Also, 18q is a little more than the capacity of the transmission, is it better to over flush a little?

i'm sorry which fitting do you need to remove to put into the bucket? the drivers side or passenger side? and your talking about the lines going into the radiator correct?

The tranny cooler sits right behind the grill on the driver side. You want to extend the rubber line that is attached to the upper tranny cooler nipple and run that into a bucket. You can do about 4 quarts at a time and 15-16 quarts is plenty.

The tranny cooler sits right behind the grill on the driver side. You want to extend the rubber line that is attached to the upper tranny cooler nipple and run that into a bucket. You can do about 4 quarts at a time and 15-16 quarts is plenty.

thank you

Why is the NAPA gasket much easier?

Because its reusable and cheaper (under $4.00) and easier to work with under the truck.

Doing the tranny flush not including dropping the pan is super simple. No mess. Also becarful when threading the bolts back into the tranny. I had to chase a couple threads with a tap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom