Poor man's oversize spare tire solution. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time posting a thread :)

I removed the 3rd row seat and installed a 23/32 inch thick plywood on the floor.

By using a contour gauge, I cut the 4x4 plywood to match the exact shape of GX 460 trunk. It is a rectangle with some extension on both sides. After cutting, I can barely fit the plywood in. Without adding any screws, the plywood won't move left/right at all.

Then I put some rubber mat to the plywood. Cut to make it fit. Then I installed a heavy duty spare tire mount, fully tightened the nylon nuts and bolts.

WechatIMG300.jpeg

Notice that there is a wood block under the nylon nut that tightens the spare tire to the plywood.

WechatIMG301.jpeg

In this way, the spare tire is securely mounted to the plywood. While the plywood has 8 screws connecting it to the four 1 inch thick wood spacer under it. The four wood spacers are secured to the car itself using the 4 factory M10-1.25 bolts. Below is a screenshot from a youtube video that explains the wood spacers.

WechatIMG303.jpeg

I used to put the spare tire above the folded 3rd row seat. It bounces a lot when off-roading. Hopefully this solution can stop it from moving.

With this spare tire, I plan to build another plywood layer on top of the spare tire for a sleeping platform. Hopefully his can saves me a lot $$$$ from buying a RTT and roof rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom