pm day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RAYJON

Get a bigger hammer..
Threads
Smitty started this talking about doing birf's .. So Saturday we are going to do a PM day at my house. If you want to be included or help us...(someone who has done birfs before would be a big help) Let me know or PM if you have any questions... we will probably try and start early and bbq for lunch.

Last edited:
I would join you all but I will be in San Diego on Sat. Besides I have smelled all the dif fluid I can handle over the last 6mos. front 3 times and rear more than I care to admit. All I can say is make sure the wife aint home if your doing it in the garage...that smell will really piss her off! Also make sure you have alot of blue paper towels, latex gloves and ALL the parts you need. GOOD LUCK!

Ray,

Thanks a ton for taking the lead on this. I am willing to be there as early as 6am. I am going to head to sams this week and pick up paper towels, latex gloves, supplies for step #6 (what does everyone like?) I will get enough of all this for all that are attending. I think that I have everything as far as parts with the exception of the Redline gear oil for the fill. I am going to try to make it up to Crusier Larry's in Culver to pick some up if anyone needs me to get them some. I can bring up to 4 6-ton jack stands and I will bring my random assortment of tools.

The more the merrier,

Smit

I think I might come along and just rebuild my manual locking hubs.... but I'm pretty sure I am going either to lend a hand or to do some work to my truck....... Should i bring air tools and a compressor or just hand tools???

Thanks for the advise Mark, my Garage is detached and Cathy is cool with my car hobbie so far....,

Don't need a compressor, ( I have a nice one built in 1961 that can keep up with anything )....... but the air tools may come it handy as we will need more than one air gun at a time..

also we need some stuff to BBQ to go along with the #6's.....

Last edited:
Sounds fun, wish I could join you all. Have a #6 or two for me. :beer:

Thanks for the advise Mark, my Garage is detached and Cathy is cool with my car hobbie so far....,

Don't need a compressor, ( I have a nice one built in 1961 that can keep up with anything )....... but the air tools may come it handy as we will need more than one air gun at a time..

also we need some stuff to BBQ to go along with the #6's.....

Sounds good....... I will bring extra air tools...... And ummm hwat should I bring for the BBQ?????

So I have 24 rolls of Scott shop towels, couple dozen coors lights (testing one tonight), all my grease (at least I hope so), mobil 1 gear oil, a toyota box full of parts, 1997 LX FSM, 60 latex gloves, and some random tools. I need to buy a grease gun and brake fluid to bleed the brakes (any recomendations for either?) What else should I bring besides a change of clothes?

dreading this rebuild,
Smit

ooooo yyeeeaaahhhhhhh let the fun begin!!!!! Make sure somebody has either a brass hammer or brass punch for those cone washers and of course that BFS (big Friggen socket) I can't remember what size it is??

I have neither Mark, I think it is a 54MM socket. Maybe a trip to Sears is in order tomorrow if Ray doesn't have these. Thanks for the reminder.

Smit

Smitty - I got the socket for the hubs, stop by and borrow it.
I'll be finishing my headgasket all day Saturday.

wahoo!! Thanks Rob. I'll call you tom. Will you be around at all tom. afternoon? I am prob. leaving super early on sat. morn.

Smit

RAY,

What time do you want to start in the morning? 6? 7? 8? It is up to you.

Smit

When ever you guys get here. I will be up about 6 so any time after that is ok or a little before, with 3 kids we are usually up early...

To save you a trip if you haven't already, I have a 54mm socket. and a brass drift and a couple BHF's

bump....for anyone else who whats to help/lean tomarrow... Pm either tonight or in the morning for directions...

bump....for anyone else who whats to help/lean tomarrow... Pm either tonight or in the morning for directions...

Sorry to miss out on what will be a good time I am sure but I have solo baby sitting duty. 2 year olds do not make good PM assistants, for more than 30 seconds that is. :rolleyes: Have fun and enjoy a #6 for me.

BIG, HUGE, GIANT, ENORMOUS THANKS TO RAY AND HIS FAMILY (FOR LETTING RAY SPEND HIS ENTIRE SATURDAY WITH ME AND MY CRUISER). Ray was generous enough to provide his skills, knowledge, tools, hamburgers, driveway, and entire Sat. to help me get the my front end rebuilt. She is as good as new now. I will admit that I was very intimidated by this entire process. I think that I could do it now by myself (if I go but a few tools). I would have been lost without Ray. The plan was for us to get his and mine done but he was generous enough to go slow in order to teach me along the way (even though it meant that we didn't touch his). I now have a much better understanding of the front end on our rigs. We (RAY) also added new rotors and 100 series pads. I can already tell a big difference in stopping even though I have not bled the brakes yet (and ho knows when that will be). Luckily my Birfs were not all that bad and honestly looked as though the previous owner had actually serviced them. Ray also gave me some good idea of others things I need to get done - some pronto, some sooner than later.

Thanks again RAY. Let me know when you need a Grunt to lend a hand.

SMIT

It was Good day but it took a while, with the trip to the carwash and not having done it before it did take all day. I can now see why everyone dreads doing this, it is messy, and takes a while (and why the dealers get 1500). Doing it by youself would really suck.

Smitty was well prepared, other than a few tools he had everything and made it go really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom