Please help! Parking Brake Binding? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've spent three days using the search function on various forums, FB groups, Google, etc and I can't find an answer. I've tried everything I can find on the web but I'm stuck. In short, just re-did my parking brake shoes and hardware. Adjusted them so as to have them barely drag. When I reinstalled the wheels, I would only get about 3/4 rotation of the wheel until the wheel stopped. Took wheels off, backed out the adjustment on each side, got about 3/4 until I could feel it start to bind but I could free it. Problem then was the parking brake wouldn't hold, and i could feel the bind barely tying to stop me at low speed. So I adjusted the nut for the handle under the center console until the brake held. And now I'm binding, definitely driving with the shoes engaged. I can smell it. I can also feel it dragging while driving. The shoes and hardware are done correctly. There's no issue with the handle, it works as it should. What the heck am I missing?

I've spent three days using the search function on various forums, FB groups, Google, etc and I can't find an answer. I've tried everything I can find on the web but I'm stuck. In short, just re-did my parking brake shoes and hardware. Adjusted them so as to have them barely drag. When I reinstalled the wheels, I would only get about 3/4 rotation of the wheel until the wheel stopped. Took wheels off, backed out the adjustment on each side, got about 3/4 until I could feel it start to bind but I could free it. Problem then was the parking brake wouldn't hold, and i could feel the bind barely tying to stop me at low speed. So I adjusted the nut for the handle under the center console until the brake held. And now I'm binding, definitely driving with the shoes engaged. I can smell it. I can also feel it dragging while driving. The shoes and hardware are done correctly. There's no issue with the handle, it works as it should. What the heck am I missing?
Same issue. Did you ever get a solution?

Same issue. Did you ever get a solution?
I did. I had to adjust the brake at the wheel until I could barely turn the wheel by hand. Then I adjusted the handle by removing the cup holder and tightening the nut that tensions the cables. Drive it a few days and the shoes will kind of burn in. Works great now. From all the research I did before I solved it, the general consensus is that this design sucks and even if adjusted correctly, may not function as well as it should. Good luck!

I did. I had to adjust the brake at the wheel until I could barely turn the wheel by hand. Then I adjusted the handle by removing the cup holder and tightening the nut that tensions the cables. Drive it a few days and the shoes will kind of burn in. Works great now. From all the research I did before I solved it, the general consensus is that this design sucks and even if adjusted correctly, may not function as well as it should. Good luck!
Thanks for getting back to me; very much appreciated. I'm finding it very tight to even get the rotor on. Feels like too much friction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom