Pleasant Tundra surprise #81 - Tow mirror retrofit

Discussion in 'Tundra / Sequoia' started by LINUS, Jun 4, 2018.

1. LINUS

LINUS Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Media:
    Albums:
    So having backed up the boat with just the standard mirrors, my tailgate camera, and my peek-a-boo hole in the middle of my headache rack - my gutter on the corner of the pole building / shop told me I needed more. Quite convincingly.

I just barely nicked it, but sure enough - gutter dent popped out & reattachment repair done - it motivated me to buy tow mirrors, these ones:

OPT7 Truck Tow Trailer Mirrors - Pickup Heated Powered DOT 10 Yr Warranty | eBay

Not the cheapest (10yr warr if they are still around :hmm:) - but 1/2 the $$ of buying Mr T’s.
    So I saved a 1/2 tank worth of gas in the boat.

Installed today:

Wanted a shot to show front shot of truck with mirrors (and a sneaky little boxer butt made the shot). The important facts are the mirrors are 16” collapsed, and 19.5” expanded - measured from underside of mirror.

It was pretty straightforward after a quick youtube session to see if there were any hidden ‘gotchas!’ in door panel removal, none found.

The interesting part was my Tundra is just a SR5 Rock Warrior, no Platinum, no Limited, just a basic SR5 with some stickers (gone) & a tow package, but aside from a moonroof, no extra options.

So I pull the old mirrors & look down the connector - 5 wires. Dang. The new tow mirrors have 7 pins in the socket, so I expect some function the mirrors have won’t work on my SR5. Meh.

A beer & a half, some playing with the dog, some improvised tools later - both mirrors in & halfway have them looking right (gaskets sitting right, all that).

Cool. Better check ‘em before I button up both door panels.

Power mirrors? Check.
    Defrost? Check.
    No rattles open/slamming doors with mirrors both extended & retracted. Yahtzee!

Ok. Things going good - I’ma gunna push my luck.

Turn on the running lights:

Waaaaait - whaaaaaaat? What is this crazy scorcery?

OK, so now I’m completely in “how far is this happy bonus going to go?” -mode.

So, the million dollar question - do I have turn signals? :

One well-timed pic (took me ~4 tries, but between the beer & the fact it worked, that was nothin!)

So for all those who made it to the bottom (or just scanned the pics & wondered how I get through an average day) ——— here’s what you wanted:

Cliff Notes - the Tundra body harness that includes the doors has the 7 pins wired in it. Like how the base SR5 has that blank to the right of the cluster you pop out & can add the MFA button bank, or how the LX450 floor harness is a single SKU# for open diffs or e-lockers.

I think Mr. T wanted to keep things simple / fewer SKU# to stock, so as I add things over time, I’ll update things like this I find.

surg0107 likes this.
  2. surg0107

surg0107 GOLD Star

Media:
    Those mirrors look great! Thanks for the info.

3. LINUS

LINUS Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Media:
    Albums:
    Meeeeeeh.
    They’re growing on me, but my headache rack is quite a blinder, so these became a ‘need’ with the boat.

But appreciate the compliment - and I forgot to mention both the build quality & fitment of these aftermarket mirrors were GREAT.

Even included foam gasket tape for new rubber gasket between mirror base & door frame. ~$240 well spent vs. what seemed like ~$500 shipped for Mr. T’s (ebay listings anyhow).

If I lived in metro Seattle I know I’d be folding the mirrors anytime I parked as a courtesy/self-preservation, but since I’m a smalltown hick I can run around with these without much to worry about. Heck, I rarely even see fullsize/Tundras compared to midsize/Tacomas in Seattle & the greater metro area.

Frankly, I’m still bummed my buddy who bought the truck new left the Rock Warrior wheels at some random Les Sxhwab when he bro-trucked it with the 20’s. That annoys me to no end.

When I get that Demello winch bumper (other thread), a replacement set of RW 17” wheels, do a Sequoia TC swap, maybe Rhino-line the bed, I’m done.

4. surg0107

surg0107 GOLD Star

Media:
    Sounds like a good plan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.