Piñon time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mauser

Supporting Vendor
Threads
The cones started opening sometime this last week. I'll be wandering the property for the next couple of weeks shaking random trees looking for a tasty snack.

Everybody loves them, I shake the tree over the chicken pen and the chickens go crazy, and my big stupid dog will pick them up one at a time and crunch away.

Luckily most of the city kids don't come this far back into the hills to pick piñon, but I do get to run a few off most years.

PXL_20230923_160054769.MP.jpg

Excellent! Scout loves this time of year on the sandia trails

The cones started opening sometime this last week. I'll be wandering the property for the next couple of weeks shaking random trees looking for a tasty snack.

Everybody loves them, I shake the tree over the chicken pen and the chickens go crazy, and my big stupid dog will pick them up one at a time and crunch away.

Luckily most of the city kids don't come this far back into the hills to pick piñon, but I do get to run a few off most years.

View attachment 3438142
I think the homesteaders chopped down all the pinon on my property 100 years ago to prepare for their failed attempt at dry-land farming. I think I have counted 5 trees growing on the 20 acres and they're all young and growing up the middle of a juniper tree, with no cones or seeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom