PEX pipe potential problems, please pontify (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pex is easier to use than copper, fairly flexable so it routes easier than copper and pvc, can handle hot and cold, and cheaper than copper. I suggest renting a crimper and using the crimp rings, the "stretch over" rings sometimes don't make a tight enough seal and may leak and just seems like the inferrior option.

LukeZero said:
Because PVC is rated for cold only, CPVC could be used for hot. PEX is fine but PEX/Al/PEX is better, holds a bend and doesn't look like crap in any exposed locations. Also, some PEX can be used with a combination insert/compression fitting, saving the rental or purchase of a crimper.

Some folks say that PVC and CPVC leaches chemicals into your water, but the reason I hate them is that they are brittle. One good miss with the hammer and it's all over.

I like copper myself, but I'm a homeowner and enoy soldering--a lot. Wouldn't hesitate to use PEX to heat a slab or run a supply line though.

thanks for all your input,
I picked up a 100' roll today, had a bit of a pain in the ass finding all the right adapters to connect it to the old system, but I think that I've got everything now, just got to get it all together.
the place has been renovated and added onto enough that 'legal schmegal' is indeed the case, one of those " it was like that when we got here " things
BTW that's kinda screwy that you can do your own heating but not plumbing in MA
I am going to get everything all set up and hooked up, then rent the tool and do all the crimps at once. it's ten (canadian) bucks a day
thanks everyone

About a year ago, I found the crimpers on e-bay, $120 for both a 3/4 and a 1/2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom