Peeling and cracking leather shifter and other items - Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalFJ100

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey everyone,

My shifter leather was starting to break down, like so many of you...With the insane replacement cost, I wanted to see what I could do to save it...Did some research on google and came across this company Rub N Restore, they have a great youtube page: Rub 'n Restore, Inc. - I watched a bunch of videos and contacted them with some pictures of my shifter.

They were super helpful over the phone and via email. I wanted to share with everyone here. I am impressed with how it turned out.

You sand down the affected areas with 220 grit sandpaper...very lightly and careful not to sand over the stitching. Once the area is smooth, you just apply the dye using a household sponge. I did about 6 coats and it took maybe 30-45 minutes in total. You can see a few knicks in the leather material and if you wanted to take are of those, you just dap some superglue in the area to build it up...sand it back down smooth and re-apply the dye.

Overall very easy, the company is super helpful. I imagine you can use this stuff to fix seats, the t-case shifter, the leather boot for that and the leather e-brake boot. My e-brake handle was super faded and I applied some dye to that and it also looks new.

I have no affiliation with the company at all...they were just so cool and figured this could help some fellow mudders. I think their website only shows large bottle purchases, but you can contact them and I bought a 2oz bottle...which is more than enough for small repairs several times.

Leather Restoration - Vinyl & Leather Paint - Furniture Repair

Hope this helps!

2018-04-28 09.53.07.jpg
2018-04-28 09.53.03.jpg

AFTER SANDING:
2018-05-05 12.46.34.jpg

2018-05-05 12.46.50.jpg

How does it feel in your hand? Rough or smooth like it did once upon a time? And does it get greasy when in the sun or warm hudmidity? My steering wheel needs help and I don't want to spend the money trying to replace it. So this seems interesting but if it gets gunky then I'm out lol

How does it feel in your hand? Rough or smooth like it did once upon a time? And does it get greasy when in the sun or warm hudmidity? My steering wheel needs help and I don't want to spend the money trying to replace it. So this seems interesting but if it gets gunky then I'm out lol

I just did this over the weekend. But it feels very smooth and factory new. You can always reach out to them and send some pictures of what you want to repair. They do a lot of furniture repairs, so I figured that if their products hold up to people, clothing, etc...should be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom