paypal question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So ive been paid through paypal a bunch of time but im selling something and the buyer is over seas and says he will pay the shipping etc. He said to invoice him the amount and add a bit extra for packaging. Ive never done this whole invoive thing. Are there any scams out there from over seas that ive not hear about?

I mean id never buy frm overseas and just agree right away and say invoice me.

It is a mud member who doesnt have a ton of posts. Just dont want my paypal account drained haha.

So ive been paid through paypal a bunch of time but im selling something and the buyer is over seas and says he will pay the shipping etc. He said to invoice him the amount and add a bit extra for packaging. Ive never done this whole invoive thing. Are there any scams out there from over seas that ive not hear about?

I mean id never buy frm overseas and just agree right away and say invoice me.

It is a mud member who doesnt have a ton of posts. Just dont want my paypal account drained haha.

Hi Varty Vo, I'm an overseas buyer and have only recently joined Mud (but not your buyer) and I'd suggest you might want to consider the country the purchaser is from (because some territories are obviously riskier than others, and some are significantly less risky than the USA!!), then see if you can find the buyer on FaceBook or LinkedIn and other searches. If they seem credible and are from a "low risk" country, then they probably are worth dealing with. Here's an independent ranking of the least corrupt countries in the world, which is no guarantee of course, but might help put your risk in perspective: Corruption Perceptions Index - Wikipedia or Countries with the most and least online fraud

Hope that's helpful.

Last edited:
Well i made it clear i would not send the parts till the money is in my paypal account and he agreed. Is there anyway he could take it back or claim i never sent it etc.

Well i made it clear i would not send the parts till the money is in my paypal account and he agreed. Is there anyway he could take it back or claim i never sent it etc.

Yep, as far as I'm concerned (as a buyer) payment upfront is to be expected. So just understand that's also a risk for the purchaser! I'm not sure about Paypal allowing money claim backs, but I'd suggest you make it clear that shipping is at the buyer's risk, then all you probably need to be able to prove is you did actually send it.

In terms of payment options, Paypal works, but other people simply send me their bank account details via email or similar and I use a forex company to transfer the money directly into their account. That's a quick option for me and is low risk to the seller (because the bank has established fraud detection systems in place).

In short yes. If after receiving the items he disputes the charge you could be out the money and the item. I would look into paypals terms of service and buyer/seller protections if I were you. I am sure there is a time limit on someone disputing the charge but I do not know how long that limit is. I have used paypal for transactions here successfully but there are horror stories out there, I try to stick to well established mud members with a reputation that means something to them. Not a guarantee by any means but better than nothing.

Alternatively can you put the item on ebay then the sale is a little more protected?

What country and how much extra? You're in Canada, so a USA buyer is fine but a Nigerian buyer is probably not.
A common scam is sending a check for more than agreed, they ask you to keep the difference but the check bounces after they've got their item. No idea if/how that works with eBay. Worst case you can withdraw after the funds clear, wait a week for fun, then ship.

Well from what I get on your post, the buyer is asking you to send him an invoice via PayPal. Therefore PayPal works as the escrow agency. The buyer pays your invoice thru PayPal, and once the funds are clear, you ship the item. Sometimes buyers pay with e-checks thru PayPal, therefore you have to wait to get the funds cleared before you ship the items. Now, if the buyer wants to file a claim after they receive the item, it is disputed the same way as in eBay. But as long as you have proof of shipment, tracking info, and shipping receipt, you should be good to go. Make sure you take pictures of the items and the package you send to avoid any scams. In addition to this, you can check on PayPal to see of the buyer is verified. Which means that they are in good stance with PayPal and are legit customers. Therefore, a buyer that just opened a PayPal account last week will not be verified. I hope this helps. I've used the invoice tool on PayPal numerous of times with overseas customers, and I have never had an issue. But again, I make sure I get tracking and shipping information just in case.

Good luck!

If your buyer trusts you, more than you trust your buyer, have him pay you PayPal Friends and Family.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom