Part time kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys

I have been looking at a truck that has a part time four wheel drive kit on it, so in short i guess i have a few questions about it.

How will it handle in the snow on the highway?
Could the kit be removed and restored to original?

I guess I am concerned with ride/drive, since I will be doing a lot of snow driving on the roads.

Thanks
83 :steer:

You would be better off with a non part time rig if you are going to be driving on snow covered roads alot.

Yes it could be coverted back to stock, but it will be some work.

I have a part time kit and we get lots of snow. Drives fine. Only complaint is the turning circle with the center diff on.

Djsherif,

How often are you driving on the highways with a good amount of snow?
Just asking to get a gauge for myself.

Thanks

I live in an urban area so the highways are usually cleaned quickly. The normal streets are where I encounter the most Snow and it handles fine. When on the snowy highways I don't notice much difference since I'm usually just going straight. Truck is stable and smooth. I'm not driving on highways with 12" of snow on a regular basis if that's what you're asking.

Very old thread but it's on topic. I have a PT kit and will be driving in snow for a week. No issues or damage driving with the center diff locked on snowy pavement?

Very old thread but it's on topic. I have a PT kit and will be driving in snow for a week. No issues or damage driving with the center diff locked on snowy pavement?
Cdl locked with the part time engaged or it engaged?

CDL locked with a part-time kit just equals 4WD. No problems driving on snow-covered roads. Dry roads won't be fun, so just turn the CDL off and you're back to rear-wheel-drive.

Right, gotcha. Just leave the hubs locked (may get some vibes) then just engage the CDL on snowy roads and be mindful of turning with CDL engaged. Cool, thanks!

Right, gotcha. Just leave the hubs locked (may get some vibes) then just engage the CDL on snowy roads and be mindful of turning with CDL engaged. Cool, thanks!

Aa long as the diffs are NOT locked, should turn just fine in 4WD. Just like it used to be before Full time 4WD. Just unlock on dry pavement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom