Parking break upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello boys and girls,

Just talked to one of my buddies over the weekend and he mentioned an upgrade for the parking brake ( longer upper connector pin?) which supposedly will make the parking brake more (or finally) workable. He couldn't remember who makes the part and I was wondering if any of you knows about it.

Thank you kindly

I was eyeing this kit also, anyone have experience? Seems straightforward.
The Australians on the Australian Facebook group are always turning people away from these (seems to get asked about once a week or so), saying "just get a new cable" and "it's just a bandaid, fix the problem".

The Australians on the Australian Facebook group are always turning people away from these (seems to get asked about once a week or so), saying "just get a new cable" and "it's just a bandaid, fix the problem".
Fair point.

OK, so is it the problem the cable? If I replace the parking brake cable, will fix the crapy performance?

On that topic, has anybody managed to run electronic parking brakes on an 80? Seems like it would be fairly straight forward once you get a bracket figured out.

140-15979-RD_kit-lg.jpg

On that topic, has anybody managed to run electronic parking brakes on an 80? Seems like it would be fairly straight forward once you get a bracket figured out.

140-15979-RD_kit-lg.jpg
Really? :) I had some experience with electronic parking brakes in the past. I will be more then happy to stay with a manual system.

OK, so is it the problem the cable? If I replace the parking brake cable, will fix the crapy performance?
No, but it will help. Imho, get a Terrain Tamer kit a new genuine parking brake cable and install both. Adjusted correctly you will be happy with the performance. In my experience, they require regular adjustments to maintain peak performance.

No, but it will help. Imho, get a Terrain Tamer kit a new genuine parking brake cable and install both. Adjusted correctly you will be happy with the performance. In my experience, they require regular adjustments to maintain peak performance.
OK, i've got new parking brakes pads and hardware, I,ve adjusted the cable and it was OK for a bit, until I managed to drive with the brake on for maybe a few hundred yards. I know, i should have not, but now the brake need adjustment all the way again. I don't understand what the cable replacement will accomplish, as steel is not rubber. It does not stretch to the point that the brake can't work once it is adjusted. What am I missing here?

140-15979-RD_kit-lg.jpg
Why not line lock? (honest question)

OK, i've got new parking brakes pads and hardware, I,ve adjusted the cable and it was OK for a bit, until I managed to drive with the brake on for maybe a few hundred yards. I know, i should have not, but now the brake need adjustment all the way again. I don't understand what the cable replacement will accomplish, as steel is not rubber. It does not stretch to the point that the brake can't work once it is adjusted. What am I missing here?
Bottom line, a proper working parking brake will stop you for moving forward slowly, and even under the best adjustment I could still move the truck if I stepped on the gas

Hmm i never punched it but didn't seem like mine wants to move. I have them adjusted all the way out now as i was chasing another issue but once they are adjusted back those things hold hard. Way better than othe vehicles I've had....actually all others ...a line lock would be great for the front i think

There are also the extended dogbones like these. Can’t remember the other mfg. black mamba maybe?

Hmm i never punched it but didn't seem like mine wants to move. I have them adjusted all the way out now as i was chasing another issue but once they are adjusted back those things hold hard. Way better than othe vehicles I've had....actually all others ...a line lock would be great for the front i think
I've never punched it either. It would just hold ok on the idle, but it will start moving with the slightest push of gas...maybe I'll replace the cable next...

I have only messes with the pads. Not sure on how good my cable is. I replaced the cable in a 100 series but that was not because they were failing to hold...it was because the cable was completely ceased

I have only messes with the pads. Not sure on how good my cable is. I replaced the cable in a 100 series but that was not because they were failing to hold...it was because the cable was completely ceased
I don't think the cable is problem. My cable is fine, I just think the added weight is not. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom