Panhard bracket repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I've had 4Runners all my life and finally added an 80 to my collection. A green 1996 with a bunch of goodies. Of course it isn't perfect, but there is one major thing I'd like to sort.

The panhard mount on the rear axle along with the sway bar mount is totally shot. Rotted away really nice. LSPV bracket cracked off too but that looks easy. Two owners prior to me was big on fishing and launched a boat often. Rest of the frame looks good though.

I can replace the rear axle, which I'd estimate to be at least $1000. Downside is that this rear diff is nice. Makes no noise and I believe used Amsoil all its life. Is it possible to buy a replacement panhard bracket and weld it to my existing housing? I don't mind cleaning up the rest of the housing afterwards. Pics pending.

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Just buy a good used housing it is not worth the Fab effort in my opinion. I have repaired them too, Panhard mounts get stripped out and lower shock bolts bust off down in the mount.

7C141910-EC39-468D-AF72-D47439B81E36.jpeg
8E3AE4F9-DC70-4F8A-A280-77935F09C10B.jpeg
36C1D89F-5532-406F-B7E8-4858731870DF.jpeg

Then again I charge money to do this. If you are just doing it yourself, it’s only time and a few bucks.

Cheers

Hey guys. I've had 4Runners all my life and finally added an 80 to my collection. A green 1996 with a bunch of goodies. Of course it isn't perfect, but there is one major thing I'd like to sort.

The panhard mount on the rear axle along with the sway bar mount is totally shot. Rotted away really nice. LSPV bracket cracked off too but that looks easy. Two owners prior to me was big on fishing and launched a boat often. Rest of the frame looks good though.

I can replace the rear axle, which I'd estimate to be at least $1000. Downside is that this rear diff is nice. Makes no noise and I believe used Amsoil all its life. Is it possible to buy a replacement panhard bracket and weld it to my existing housing? I don't mind cleaning up the rest of the housing afterwards. Pics pending.

View attachment 2462551

View attachment 2462552

View attachment 2462553

View attachment 2462554
See if @slow95z has a good housing or complete axle you can swap in.

Pull the diff from yours and you can use it if you want or you can just bolt in a different one and get rolling.

May ask for other parts around it such as sway bar brackets and such, upper shock mounts, LSPV brackets and valve.

Just buy a good used housing it is not worth the Fab effort in my opinion. I have repaired them too, Panhard mounts get stripped out and lower shock bolts bust off down in the mount.

Then again I charge money to do this. If you are just doing it yourself, it’s only time and a few bucks.

Cheers

Fair enough. I'm keeping an eye on housings locally since freight is not cheap. Occasionally there are wrecks that came from down south.

How much would you charge for a replica panhard bracket to weld on? I mean, panhard correction kits are already common so it couldn't be drastically different. Edit: I guess it is a little more complex.

See if @slow95z has a good housing or complete axle you can swap in.

Pull the diff from yours and you can use it if you want or you can just bolt in a different one and get rolling.

May ask for other parts around it such as sway bar brackets and such, upper shock mounts, LSPV brackets and valve.

Will do. Yup, the nuts on the LSPV adjustment are not even recognizable. Probably easier to get a used unit from out west.

Use a freight company like SAIA. I ship large items across country for fair prices, very fair. Try mudship, I have had good results with it too.

Buy a rust free housing on car-part.com, ship it. That housing you have, is so rusty I would never want to weld to it. Even after sand blasting it. Whole bunch in the west for cheap,

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom