Painting, masking, tips ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting close to priming and painting my FJ40 top. It has been years since I painted a car. I am proficient with clear lacquer though. Used to paint a car passably well too.

I will not be removing the glass. I would if rubber was available, but I could not find any. Also breaking the curved glass would be tragic.

I do not want a primer line to show around the rubber. I was thinking of masking for the primer but leaving a bit of the original paint covered near the rubber. Then scuff sand to feather the primer and re-masking closer to the rubber for the paint. The original paint around the windows is in good condition. I am using single phase paint, if that matters. The color matches the original red.

40 year old wax?? I have sanded everything and scotchbrighted the surface. Do I need to do any more than lacquer thinner for the old wax?

3M makes trim masking tape for lifting the edge of rubber weatherstripping off the body so you can paint under the weatherstrip. 3M ID NO 70-0160-9286-1
Not sure if that part number is still good. The box I have is 20 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom