Paint with windows in???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone done a QUALITY paint job without removing the side or rear glass?If so how?Pics?Thanks:)

Is this a 60 or 62 wagon?

If so, the side and rear windows can be difficult to remove without damaging the chrome/plastic locking strips. I started to remove the windows when I painted our 62 and when I realized that I would likely need to replace a lot of this trim stuff when I put it back together, I decided it was a bad idea after getting prices on the stuff.

I ended up throughly cleaning where the rubber meets the paint, masking the rubber, sanding the paint up to the rubber with making in place to protect the rubber, once sanding was done, removing masking, do final cleaning, then carefully mask again before painting. I think the biggest trick is to take your time with the masking and it will look good in the end.

If you decide to remove the windows, get prices and availability of all the trim and rubber. You may have to replace it when the windows go back in.

With some patience and some prep...it can be done. No windows removed here...front window gasket that uses the original spreader is also unobtainable...or so I'm told. A little bit of overspray on the rubber is not to tought to get off...especially if you get at it early.
pigshopsmall3.JPG

Paint looks fantastic! Did you do it yourself and if so did you spray it with a gun, rattle can, or roll it? I've got a 78 55 that has been painted green/white but the original colors are the same as yours and want to restore it back to original, but don't have the budget or willingness to put her in the shop.

Hey guys, I have no painting experience but I think this might work. If your rubber is still soft enough to pry up a little, could you just pull it up and shove a small diameter rope or thick fishing line under the seal? This would allow you to tape off easily and be able to get some paint under the rubber. When its dry, pull the line out and the seal comes down on the new paint. This should also eliminate any paint pealing problems too. What do you think?

Rope

Hey guys, I have no painting experience but I think this might work. If your rubber is still soft enough to pry up a little, could you just pull it up and shove a small diameter rope or thick fishing line under the seal? This would allow you to tape off easily and be able to get some paint under the rubber. When its dry, pull the line out and the seal comes down on the new paint. This should also eliminate any paint pealing problems too. What do you think?

Yep, that is how my 60 was painted, just pull up the seal with a small cord and you are good to go.

Hatterasisland,

Yep, I did pigwald by myself...however...a big however...I did it a my friends shop with all the right toys/tools to play with...including a spray booth and under his watchful eye. I'm no rookie at painting ...but I am also far from the master.

MJM ...were you at CMCC ? ? I had :princess: pigwald there for parking lot duty and leading the pavement only crawling tour :doh:

I pulled my rear windows on my 60 for the paint. One side I pulled the chrome ring out. The other I left it in. Really I can honestly say it made no difference for re-install. The one with the chrome went right in easy.

My wife went on the inside and worked the string that was all the way around. I knocked it into place on the outside.

To remove go on the inside and just push the rubber seal up and over the body lip. When you get three sides pryed up and over, go on the outside and yank the window out.

So in closing.... leave the chrome in... Cause the chrome is really hard to put in and out. The window that I removed it, it was literally the hardest thing to re-install.

I actually found some specks of rust under my window rubber, so I say it's worth it.

I never removed the windshield though. I got lazy there :)

Hatterasisland,

Yep, I did pigwald by myself...however...a big however...I did it a my friends shop with all the right toys/tools to play with...including a spray booth and under his watchful eye. I'm no rookie at painting ...but I am also far from the master.

MJM ...were you at CMCC ? ? I had :princess: pigwald there for parking lot duty and leading the pavement only crawling tour :doh:

I did see your PIG in the Lot it was nice I had the blue 60 behind your PIG

There is a special tape with a hard vinyl strip attached to it to hold molding back for painting, I've seen it, and used it, but it's been a long time. You stick the vinyl in behind the seal, pull it to the side, and press the tape down to the glass if I remember correctly. I'm sure it was probably a 3M product, available at body shop supply stores, auto paint stores.

lots green 3m tape and alot of patients. Also grow your fingernails a little bit to really jam the tape on the and in the seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom