Paging those with Dobinsons 2.5” lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently installed a Dobinsons 2.5” lift w/Dobinsons UCA’s and the SSO rear coil conversion kit (w/Moog isolators) on my ’06 Non-KDSS GX470 and am a bit concerned by the significant increase in rake and lack of lift in front.

Parts installed:
Front – GS59-221B struts w/C59-314 springs
Rear – GS59-705B shocks w/C59-505 springs
SSO rear coil conversion kit (w/Moog isolators) and currently no spacers installed
Dobinsons UCA’s

I took some before fender-to-ground (FTG) measurements with the 265/65/R17 Cooper Discoverer HTP tires (30.6” overall diameter) and some after with the new 285/70/R17 BF Goodrich KO2’s (32.8” overall diameter):

Front FTG before – 34 1/8”
Front FTG after – 37 1/8”
Rear FTG before – 34 3/4"
Rear FTG after – 39 1/4"

Factoring in the tire size difference, it appears I gained 0.8” of lift in front and 2.3” of lift in the rear. I’m starting to think I should have gone with a 3” setup up front to try and maintain some sort of levelness or factory rake. Will the rears settle a good bit? Did I do something wrong like go with the wrong combination of parts? Install error? Or am I just overreacting and this is all perfectly normal? Thanks in advance.

IMG_7678.JPG

IMG_7676.JPG

It will settle. I have the exact same setup with no coil conversion spacers. Installed the suspension, got it aligned and 2 days later i was on the trail and noticed a significant reduction in rake. 1st pic is right after installation on the way to get provisions for the trip. The second is mid trip.

20181109_103746.jpg

20181110_150207_HDR.jpg

take measurements from the center hub to fender edge and post them up

Hey Kyle! Thanks for the reply, I was gonna FB message you but I was positive by now you were sick of all my stupid questions, haha. I tried my best to grab it from the center hub with a level and measuring tape, it's ~22" in the front and ~23 1/2" in the rear.

I'm on a 2.5" Dobinsons lift, SSO/Moog rear conversion with no spacers, and SPC UCA.

My rears are the same as yours:
GS59-705B + C59-505

My front is a little different:
GS59-220B+ C59-300.

I think the difference is the front shock? Dobinson's website for the GS59-220 states the following:
"**Using these struts with stock coils will add 1″ of lift. Using these with 2″ coils will provide 3″ of lift."
Maybe @Kyle Fogle can chime in.

My suspension is settled and the ground to fender measures approximately .5"-1.0" rake between rear and front. It depends how my KDSS is behaving, along with how much gas I have. There is never more than 1" in rake.

5D6405CC-B7E1-4092-8721-4D9A75281827.jpeg

5AB2286B-184D-4D96-850F-515B619F51E2.jpeg

you're a little high in the rear, drive it for a bit and see what kind of settling you see.

Do you think it could have anything to do with the Moog isolators vs OEM?

I'm on a 2.5" Dobinsons lift, SSO/Moog rear conversion with no spacers, and SPC UCA.

My rears are the same as yours:
GS59-705B + C59-505

My front is a little different:
GS59-220B+ C59-300.

I think the difference is the front shock? Dobinson's website for the GS59-220 states the following:
"**Using these struts with stock coils will add 1″ of lift. Using these with 2″ coils will provide 3″ of lift."
Maybe @Kyle Fogle can chime in.

My suspension is settled and the ground to fender measures approximately .5"-1.0" rake between rear and front. It depends how my KDSS is behaving, along with how much gas I have. There is never more than 1" in rake.

Rig looks great, but Kyle's right, they should both net 2.5" in the front. .5"-1.0" rake I could live with, 1.5" just seems a bit much. Will continue to monitor and let it settle and update after a few more weeks, I also don't have KDSS.

Just for reference:

Front: GS59-221 / C59-314
Rear: GS59-705 / C59-325 with 10mm top spacers (metal tech coil conversion)

3rd row removed
ARB skids
Sliders

Those wheels are absolutely beautiful, very clean ride, well done. My 3rd row is currently removed as well, looks like our rear springs are a bit different though (C59-325 vs C59-505) but that would make yours even higher in the rear based on the specs from the Dobsinsons Direct website unless the metal tech coil conversion kit doesn't add as much height as the SSO kit. If you don't mind me asking, what sliders are those?

I thought that the MT coil conversion didn’t add any extra height, but the SSO conversion kit added 0.75” to 1” of height.

I thought that the MT coil conversion didn’t add any extra height, but the SSO conversion kit added 0.75” to 1” of height.

That would make sense why @yeos went with the C59-325 springs w/a 10mm top spacer then. And yes, the SSO conversion gives you an additional 0.75" and up to 1.25" if you add in both 0.25" spacers.

Do you think it could have anything to do with the Moog isolators vs OEM?

Rig looks great, but Kyle's right, they should both net 2.5" in the front. .5"-1.0" rake I could live with, 1.5" just seems a bit much. Will continue to monitor and let it settle and update after a few more weeks, I also don't have KDSS.

Those wheels are absolutely beautiful, very clean ride, well done. My 3rd row is currently removed as well, looks like our rear springs are a bit different though (C59-325 vs C59-505) but that would make yours even higher in the rear based on the specs from the Dobsinsons Direct website unless the metal tech coil conversion kit doesn't add as much height as the SSO kit. If you don't mind me asking, what sliders are those?

Thanks!

You are correct in that the MT coil conversion does not add additional height in the rear. My original order was for this exact setup, but with the SSO coil conversion. There was a long backorder for those at the time so I cancelled and went with MT. I added a 10mm top spacer to account the lost lift. The sliders are white knuckle off road. They are very well fabricated.

@yeos what are your hub to fender measurements?

I’m close to 22.5” all round with my Bilstein 6112s in the front.

Anyone know the stock hub to fender up front? I know there’s been past threads trying to figure out the stock hub to fender measurements. It’s like 20.25” or so.

And don't forget a 2" taller tire will actually only give you 1" additional lift off the ground. Half of that increase in size is between the center and the top of the tire, so the increased lift is only 1" from the ground to the center. 30" tire halfway is 15" (from ground to center), 32" tire halfway is 16" from ground to center

@yeos what are your hub to fender measurements?

I’m close to 22.5” all round with my Bilstein 6112s in the front.

Anyone know the stock hub to fender up front? I know there’s been past threads trying to figure out the stock hub to fender measurements. It’s like 20.25” or so.

FL: 22.50" / FR: 22.75"
RL: 23.75" / RR: 23.75"

The front left has a 1/4" top spacer. If I ever have to disassemble the suspension for some reason I'll change it out to 3/8". Otherwise it doesn't bother me as much as it does on the Tacoma.

I want to stay under 23” in the rear with the variable rate rears, but not sure if it’s possible based on specs and what you guys are reporting.

These are the 4Runner numbers in terms of lift.

C59-325 - Stock rear end load, 1.75" to 2" lift. 420/420mm, 17mm wire, 220LB

C59-675V - Variable rate comfort option, stock rear weight, 2.5" lift. 470/470mm, 16mm wire, 157-230LB variable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom