oztent - australia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm with shed on this.
You've prolly never tried BASE jumping, bungee jumping, free climbing more than 1000' or swimming with sharks.
Of course, neither have I.
But I'd definately love to travel to places where I might be considered
food. I just won't be going there unarmed. :D

[quote author=hj60 link=board=14;threadid=8987;start=msg100868#msg100868 date=1076136679]
I'm with shed on this.
You've prolly never tried BASE jumping, bungee jumping, free climbing more than 1000' or swimming with sharks.
Of course, neither have I.
But I'd definately love to travel to places where I might be considered
food. I just won't be going there unarmed. :D
[/quote]

So what is your point?

I have pleanty of other things that keep me busy and entertained, and can be killed by many other ways right here in the USA, and do not feel that I need to ramp things up just yet....

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=the shedguy [Aus/CAC] link=board=14;threadid=8987;start=msg100858#msg100858 date=1076135811]
[glow=red,6,600]CHICKEN[/glow] :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:
[/quote]

Then according to you, I am.

I am fine with that, considering the source.

Good luck!

-Steve

And now, back to the scheduled topic.

Who wants more info on the OzTents. Stocking order is going in along with any special requests soon.

Alf

I use a self-erecting tent, similar to the OzTent. Mine's not very heavy
duty but I'm hooked and won't buy another non-self erecting ground tent
again. Including rainfly and stakes, I can have it up and ready to crawl
into in 5 minutes. And when it rains in the desert, that's a huge selling
point. :D

The Hannibal is actually made here in South Africa... http://www.hannibal.co.za. There are quite a few other makes here. Besides the Lion issue :D , being on the roof has a few other benefits. Your tent is never in the mud / snow / dust, so cleaning is easy. Insects tend to operate on or near the ground, being on the roof reduces the chance of being carried away by these critters. ;)

Also, the bedding & mattress fold up into the tent, so you needn't take them out, simply unfold the tent at the camp in a minute or 2 and there you have it.

Here are some links

http://www.eeziawn.co.za/rooftents.html
http://www.technitop.co.za/
http://www.howlingmoon.co.za/rooftopframe.html

You could also attach it to your trailer and convert it to a mansion... :D
technitop_down_2.JPG

trailer3lg.jpg

I am curious as to how these roof top tents can be cantilevered out almost 4+ feet and not have any supports underneath. Has anyone seen one of these in person that can comment on the design and materials that make this possible. From the pictures I dont' get the feeling the ladder provides much support.

I would like to build such a platform for my m101 1/4 ton trailer.

Kevin

I am having an M416 type trailer built right now. One of the key features will be a 'Trailer Top Tent'.

Before I commit to any particular design, I would like to evaluate all the possible options.

Another option is an Italian built model sold in the US by Lofty Shelters (www.loftyshelters.com).

Mike S

The clever part is in the internal pole/rope structure. The internal poles provide most of the support, with the ladder adding a bit of rigidity. These are highly successful here, most offroaders have one or 2 when doing longer trips.

The bases come in 3 different materials, marine ply, roto moulded plastic, and aluminum. The aluminim is the most durable, but also the coldest. The marine ply units are covered in heavy duty canvas bags when folded up.

I will try to take a few detailed pics for you guys, also maybe I will get some local prices. The Italian units are nice, but take up all the roof space. The ones here all fold in half, with the bedding inside, thus still allowing packing space on the roof.

I am interested in seeing the detailed pics on how this sucker supports itself. Take a look at the pricing as well.

Alf

[quote author=FJAfrica link=board=14;threadid=8987;start=msg102455#msg102455 date=1076402986]
The clever part is in the internal pole/rope structure. The internal poles provide most of the support, with the ladder adding a bit of rigidity. These are highly successful here, most offroaders have one or 2 when doing longer trips.

The bases come in 3 different materials, marine ply, roto moulded plastic, and aluminum. The aluminim is the most durable, but also the coldest. The marine ply units are covered in heavy duty canvas bags when folded up.

I will try to take a few detailed pics for you guys, also maybe I will get some local prices. The Italian units are nice, but take up all the roof space. The ones here all fold in half, with the bedding inside, thus still allowing packing space on the roof.
[/quote]

Please post the pics and pricing. Looks like a nice set up. I am looking to mount on a trailer that is 68"W X 72" long. Also, I would like the pricing and specs on the OZ tent...

Mike S

Does anyone have one of these RV3 Tents? If so, how do you like it?

Any dealers on MUD?

Thanks!

don't know bout the rv3
but i have a 8 man tent and love it.

got it from alf in a trade for a set of 40 sliders ;)

i have his info at work if you want it.

Got a RV4, best tent we have ever owned.

I had a issue with a part I purchased, OZ stood behind their product all the way from down under.

We have slept in it with snow,rain, and wind........ simply the best tent ever.

You will not be upset about this purchase.

Got a RV4, best tent we have ever owned.

I had a issue with a part I purchased, OZ stood behind their product all the way from down under.

We have slept in it with snow,rain, and wind........ simply the best tent ever.

You will not be upset about this purchase.

Thanks Clutchee.

BTW, who did you purchase it from?

Any deals out there right now?

Thanks.

i Just purchased a RV4 to use in Moab i can't wait it's sitting in denver waiting for me!!

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom