Overnighter closer to New Years? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phalconoverland.com
It looks like at least one day trip is firming up. There was discussion about an overnighter closer to new years. I am off of work the 29th to the 1st and wouldn't mind an overnight trip somewhere.

That said, looking at the weather, the mountains will be freezing to sub freezing at night so figure that in if you are adverse to lodging indoors. From a wheeling standpoint the good and bad news is there is no snow as of yet in our quadrant of the woods and nothing in the forecast so much of our local world is wide open to us. To get some ideas flowing, here are a few options:

Overnight trips:

- LCIR - Stay at the Warner Springs Lodge ($84/night)or camp if you have the fortitude. This would be contingent on us getting access to the fun stuff. Could be nice though to wheel the reservation with enough time to get to the back of the reservation and explore.

- Big Bear: The wheeling is top notch but it is prime season so lodging is $200+/ night. I am sure camping is wide open but lows are in the 20's. If one of us knew someone with a cabin, that could spawn epic. I am not up for 20 deg camping.

- Baileys Cabin/Alder Canyon. This would be camping. A few years back we camped at Bailey's cabin and did a side run to Alder. Alder has a protected (wind) primitive area that looked like it would be fun to camp at. One could hike and mountain bike around there. The desert lows are mid 40's and Anza is mid 30's so will be cold but likely manageable at around 40 at night.

- Other ideas?

A 2 nighter?

- Central Coast exploration? Lows are in the 30's to 40's be it Solvang, Cayucos, Paso... so again camping will be cold and probably windy. Lodging can be found affordably a number of places. If not careful one could run smack into a tasty winery or two.

- Head farther east - north/east, Joshua tree?

Let's hear your thoughts.

Frank

I'm game for some camping! I can do 1 or 2 nights. It was a toasty 34° at my house this morning so the temps are good for me. I tend to gravitate away from people, so I'll always recommend the places with the least crowd.

I could possibly do something, but need to be back in town Sunday for New Years Eve plans. I new to everything here, but would prefer cheap and quiet.

I could be swayed for a night or two, but I'll probably be alone on this one as the fam is not a huge fan of winter camping.

Anywhere where we can have a legal fire?

Sure, Borrego in a provided ring or bring your own fire pit. Anywhere in the BLM area outside Joshua Tree provided that you have a CA fire permit, available online and free HERE. LCIR probably allows and for info on Big Bear it is always best to call the Discovery Center and ask a ranger.

I'm partial to the JT area because I love the solitude it offers. Complete dispersed camping with miles in between folks. No amenities offered. Decent trails (lockers not required), all the cool old mines to see, shooting opportunities for those that want to... That said it isn't all that child friendly for them to run around in certain areas due to open mine shafts, washes, and cactus.

Sure, Borrego in a provided ring or bring your own fire pit. Anywhere in the BLM area outside Joshua Tree provided that you have a CA fire permit, available online and free HERE. LCIR probably allows and for info on Big Bear it is always best to call the Discovery Center and ask a ranger.

A fire permit even in the middle of the desert?

Where is Coyote Creek? It looks like Cougar Canyon is farther south from Alder. I have never been there either.

Frank

Anza works for me, probably one of the closer locations for us to go to.

Have we decided on heading out on Friday? I can stay 2 nights but know others can only stay 1.

Bueller? Bueller? Ferris... Bueller?

If you’ll can’t decide on anything I’ll be running solo outside of JT for my and Wicket’s solitude. (English not my major).

If you’ll can’t decide on anything I’ll be running solo outside of JT for my and Wicket’s solitude. (English not my major).
Me and my boys went out to Cougar Canyon today. It was a spectacular trip. Too quick for me, I need to go again when I can stay over night.

So are we looking the 29th to the 30th? What is the terrain like? Lots of flat area or no? My kids both got bikes for Christmas and are looking for all opportunities to ride them.

Frank

I am nearly 100% going. My exhaust is mostly mounted with a skate board wheel at the moment but it seems to be holding. I will try to get it fixed after the new year.

Frank

So Cougar Canyon, this is an offshoot right next to the Sheep Canyon Campground correct? Would we be base camping at Sheep Canyon and running trails from there? Looks like in order to have a fire there you have to bring your own fire pit. Good thing I kept the old drum from my washer.

Sheep Canyon Campground - Anza Borrego SP

I can do one night staying over 30th only, would look to get there early on Saturday to maximize time to explore. You guys make your plans though and if I can make it I will.

The 31st is spoken for me so I would do the 29th for an overnight. If everyone did the 30th, no sweat, I'd still come out early and cruise with all of you all day the 30th.

Frank

I’ll camp the 29th and 30th. I’ll set up and Sheep Canyon tomorrow. Its $5 per vehicle, not sure if it’s per day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom