Over-specialization of Forums (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
I recently made a post about a 40/55 specific tool in the 40/55 tech forum, received two responses, and then it was moved to the "Tools and Fabrication" forum.

Unfortunately, I see the "Tools and Fabrication" forum as, like many of the forums here, as places where good topics go to die. I intentionally put it where I did to ensure that someone with knowledge might see it. I was tempted to put posts in both places, but realized that might be pushing the limits.

I know Mud has developed organically, but I'm wondering if it has grown too many sub-forums. Especially since many subjects cross taxonomies. Plus with having both a 40/55 forum AND a 55 forum, 55 owners are caught in a pickle; many subjects "belong" in multiple forums and decisions of where to put them can be arbitrary and subjective.

I'm glad that a couple of knowledgeable people responded to my post before it was consigned to the forum of misfit toys, but am wondering if that was the best move.

Thoughts?

I get requests for additional forums a few times a month. I resist for the most part...anything added as "new" is the result of research to see how frequently specific topics are developed, often over months of time. I'm sitting on two requests now that have potential.

The FJ55 specific forum was created LONG ago, like 15 years...at that time, there was only a "general" tech section. It's intent was for restoration projects.

Stuff evolves. Always will. There is NO perfect solution.

I get requests for additional forums a few times a month. I resist for the most part...anything added as "new" is the result of research to see how frequently specific topics are developed, often over months of time. I'm sitting on two requests now that have potential.

The FJ55 specific forum was created LONG ago, like 15 years...at that time, there was only a "general" tech section. It's intent was for restoration projects.

Stuff evolves. Always will. There is NO perfect solution.

I agree completely.

And in the end, my kludge worked. I snuck my post in, got a quick, correct response and then the post was moved to where it didn't add to an already overloaded 40/55 section.

It's good to know the history of how the forums developed. A friend and I once built a major data repository for the US gov't and it was amazing to see how information evolution worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom