Optimal MPG for FJ Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a stock vehicle except for synthetic oils/lubes, 91 octane fuel, tires at the stock 32 psi. I have averaged : 22.922 mpg over 17,369 miles. I try to keep it at @65 mph but often do not. Over those 17,369 miles I have gotten better than 25 mpg on 5 tankfuls (all highway, hi-alt driving). That is over 2 winters and the FJ sits outside in bone chilling cold during the winter (7,200' elevation). Virtually 99% of my driving is rural or highway.

No complaints from me.

DEWFPO

Brock,

If you're able to get 19 mpg instead of 17 mpg you would more than able to justify the costs of converting to synthetic oil.

Every 10,000 miles you drive you would save $226.00 in fuel alone. This figure would more than offset a couple of synthetic oil changes, filters, etc.. It would still leave money in your pocket as well.

This calculation was based on paying $3.65 per gallon for fuel. If your average fuel price would rise, so would your savings.

Eric

that is my plan to convert it to AMSOIL as soon as possible...if not for the 3 FREE oil changes I negotiated I would have done it already......well would have waited until their first 5000 mile change and then done it. I am guessing on the 2mpg increase...as that is what I saw with my Cummins diesel with also changing the air filter to AMSOIL high flow filter...and took off muffler...as they prefer free flowing and dont require any back pressure. Oil conversion, new air filter, no muffler...and got just a hair over 2mpg. If I can get 1.5-2 after converting to AMSOIL....replacing air filter with high flow setup...and then putting on a Magnaflow muffler....I will be happy.

instead of doing the how far did i fill up routine each time...either here or blue forum someone gave me a spreadsheet with formulas already in it for miles per gallon calculation.

you put your starting mileage on first line and it already has tank size and such. Each time you fill up you then take note of:

1- air temp
2. miles on odometer
3- octane pumped
4- gallons pumped
5- price per gallon
6- gas station brand
7- notes for items like towing, air conditioner, or excessive speed that might impact reading

then next time you fill up you do same thing and it computes mileage based on what you reported earlier versus this fill up....i recommend trying to use same pump and going with first cutoff each time unless you can visually see it at neck each time.

Not perfect or as good as onboard system but pretty nice.....

If I can get 1.5-2 after converting to AMSOIL....replacing air filter with high flow setup...and then putting on a Magnaflow muffler....I will be happy.
Hey Brock,

Is AMSOIL Synthetic? What's a highflow air filter, a CAI? How does AMSOIL stack uo with Royal Purple, performance and price?

Thanks,:beer:

Woodeye

1- yes amsoil is pure synthetic motor oil
2- highflow airfilter is air filter that increases the amount of air it is able to transport while still providing ability to filter out unwanted airborne media. More air....more gas...more power.
3- CAI is Cold Air Intake....it is when an induction system pulls the air for your engine combustion from outside of the engine bay...therefore the air is cooler and provides better performance...as cold air is more dense than warm air. So pulling 300*F air from around engine bay versus 100*F from wheel well or other location.....and there is a difference.
4-I wont talk down on another brand of oil...I will tell you that if you are using Mobil1 in your motorcycle or vehicle I wont try to talk you out of it because it is one of the best oils out there even for the money. Royal Purple I only know from tests and reports I read....I can share the studies and you draw your own conclusions. I am not going to try and talk you out of it if that is what you are comfortable running.

As for price....here is what I tell people and myself even...LOL
1. All quality synthetics support extended drain intervals IF YOU USE a high quality filter as well. Most European vehicles and some American now go 8,10, even 15,000 miles between changes. My wifes BMW actually monitors oil to determine time for change. But have to have quality filter media in addition to the longer wear properties of oil.
2. Price per quart is not the real qualifier...it is price per same amount of time. I personally did an oil change once per year on my Dodge Cummins as the interval using the oil, filter, etc was 15000 miles for severe usage and 25000 miles for normal usage. For gasoline light trucks and cars...some sythetic intervals are from 15000 miles per year or as high as 35000 per year depending on oil and filter combination using....and for normal or severe usage.
So while your upfront costs may be slightly more you will have more longevity between fluid changes and thereby saving some money in long run while retaining or exceeding your current protection using conventional oils.

I did not want to turn this into an advertising or sales pitch.....so I wont do more. I would say if you use Mobil 1...you are doing great. AMSOIL is another I have a lot of respect for. The others you will need to decide for yourself......some claim horsepower and fuel savings but they may not handle high heat and high shear tests well...or 4 ball wear tests...or have cleaning ability of others. The best overall combination of all desirable characteristics is what I recommend and the two above will give you that.

MY 08 automatic (stock except for towing mods) has just over 6K miles on it. I too mostly drive like an old fart (I am one, so...). In south west Arizona it's mostly flat, and I get 19-20 mpg all the time, but I almost never exceed 70 mph. My lead footed spouse drove from Phoenix to Quartzsite one day at 75 mph, and she averaged 18 mpg, the worst we've seen, and she says she won't do it again (we don't mid buying gas to go off road and play, but just to get from here to there and back we get stingy). Always use 87 octane. In Utah right now, where 85 octane is available, but I haven't tried it yet. Perhaps in the San Juans this summer, if it's available, I'll mix a bit in on occasion.

A question about CAI. If I do that, will I have room on the engine to park burritos while off road? I use an aluminum tray now, and the things don't get hot!

That having been said, running Mobil 1, and 91 octane, I averaged 17.5 with a max of 19.2-- longest I went after the light came on was 70 miles -- there seems to be ~4 gallons reserve for me. Max miles / tank was 336, taking 17.5 gals.

You've got a sack on you.:p My light comes on around 230 miles, i may push it past there a little...but never thought about taking it to 336 miles. I'm picturing Kramer in your front seat holding your hand and you pulling back on the freeway from the exit ramp!!!

I drive the MT, what odds do you put on me getting 300 miles to a tank? and only fill 17 gallons? If your odds are favoring, I'm gonna try it. Peeps from TX know the kind of people sitting on the side of the road pulling the plastic gas tank out of their trunk after running out of gas. Not that I am any better of a person than they are, but I don't want to be labeled as the guy who has to buy a spare gas can cause he knows he will run out of gas!!

If I did run out of gas, for some odd reason (maybe I will do it just to see how far I can go) wouldn't that be pretty damaging to the engine?

Sometime I wish I lived at a lower elevation so I could get better numbers. Unfortunately up here where the air is rare, I get about 16 in the city, 18 on the highway w/premium. I guess the lift & added roof rack didn't help.

Does the CAI really give a good boost? Not sure it's worth the $350 for 1-2mpg...

I just did 288 till the light came on and filled at 304 15.4 gallons which is normal for me with the AT and staying below 70 MPH

Not yet

I have noticed that my gas mileage is really bad. it seems to be getting worse too:rolleyes:

Niner how do you do it? 288:eek:

The only thing I have different from you, it looks like is bigger tires. I installed the CAI and have noticed a little bit of a difference but not enough time yet to say its worth it or not. I imagine in the long long run it will pay off though. The first tank I got an extr 3mpgs.

I keep hearing about the 20mpgs, but I'm not getting it. Its flat here, air is not thin and over the last 3 weeks have tried not to go over 65. My drive consists of mostly highway miles, in the opposite direction of traffic.

Rekcut and I talked about Royal Purple and I switched all the gear oil with it, and switched out the spark plugs last weekend. I filled up on Sunday and still haven't hit the halfway mark on my tank. I am sitting at 120 miles, where I am usually sitting at about a 100. Then again, that needle likes going in the down direction on the the dash a whole lot faster than it likes to move up to the halfway mark. I will be doing back flips if I can hit 288

I have noticed that my gas mileage is really bad. it seems to be getting worse too:rolleyes:

i noticed the same thing, but that was when i was driving at around 80mph. I don't mind the low mpgs, Im just on a mission to see how many I can get right now!! I'm sure the bug will go away in a month or two.

Someone told me that the surfboard racks, light bar, lift, bigger tires and a lead foot can effect the mileage too:rolleyes: hmmm:hmm:

Someone told me that the surfboard racks, light bar, lift, bigger tires and a lead foot can effect the mileage too:rolleyes: hmmm:hmm:

whoever told you is probably a 100% correct and knows what they are talking about!!!!:):):)

There is another major equation they left out that effects mpg's though....and that is the gender behind the wheel!!! LOL:p:p

whoever told you is probably a 100% correct and knows what they are talking about!!!!:):):)

There is another major equation they left out that effects mpg's though....and that is the gender behind the wheel!!! LOL:p:p
Being that I'm a girl, and I know how to drive and I can ask for directions,talk on the phone, drink a coffee and deal with kids at the same time it should be getting better gas mileage;) It must be a design flaw :flipoff2:

Niner how do you do it? 288

The 288 is not the important number. The important number is MPG. Every trucks light will come on at a different time. Some show empty with a 2 gallon or more difference in fuel need to refill. Get a gas can and run your truck empty to see how low it will go. IF you get 288 or 255 its all the same if you are getting 20 mpg.:steer:

The 288 is not the important number. The important number is MPG. Every trucks light will come on at a different time. Some show empty with a 2 gallon or more difference in fuel need to refill. Get a gas can and run your truck empty to see how low it will go. IF you get 288 or 255 its all the same if you are getting 20 mpg.:steer:

I think I asked about that earlier. Wouldn't that just pummle the truck to run it to empty? couldnt imagine it would be good for it at all.
my light comes on with 4 to go. so i fill to 15 gallons, and base the mpgs off of that. i do want to get an idea of how far i can go with the light on, but im a sissy about that. not that i want it on my FJ cause there really isn't a need for it, but i did like the computer in the corvette that would let you know how many more miles you had left on your tank. it gave a certain peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom