Opening KDSS valve on a slanted driveway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm replacing my SPC UCA to total chaos UCA on my LC this weekend but my driveway is slanted. Is it ok to open the KDSS valves on a slanted driveway? I'm worried that the incline will cause some kind of unequal pressure when the valve opens/closes. Am I just overthinking this or is it a valid assumption?
Maybe I don't even need to open the KDSS valve for this install?

I'm replacing my SPC UCA to total chaos UCA on my LC this weekend but my driveway is slanted. Is it ok to open the KDSS valves on a slanted driveway? I'm worried that the incline will cause some kind of unequal pressure when the valve opens/closes. Am I just overthinking this or is it a valid assumption?
Maybe I don't even need to open the KDSS valve for this install?

Not a problem.
Being open doesn’t set anything.
It just lets the fluid flow freely within the system.

It is set when you close it...and even then, it slowly adjusts to various slants iver time when closed.

If you finish the job and it seems tilted or wildly uneven afterward... take it to a known, level area...open the valves again (three full turns...no more) and bounce around on your truck...and then close again.

Not a problem.
Being open doesn’t set anything.
It just lets the fluid flow freely within the system.

It is set when you close it...and even then, it slowly adjusts to various slants iver time when closed.

If you finish the job and it seems tilted or wildly uneven afterward... take it to a known, level area...open the valves again (three full turns...no more) and bounce around on your truck...and then close again.

Thanks for that info!

Why are you switching from SPC to TC?

Why are you switching from SPC to TC?

Couple reasons
1. I wanted a UCA with grease zerks. I've had the SPC for two years and they worked great but they started to squeak a bit and regreasing them is a bit of a pain.
2. I originally got my SPC with the OME kit from slee. It worked great with the kit but when I switch to King coilovers, it was something I also wanted to switch out.
3. It looks great with my King coilovers....this might be the biggest influencer LOL....who doesn't like that bling factor.

The current SPC models have the zerk fittings

I have zerks on SPCs, but they seem to suck at retaining the grease... seem to have pressure slots on mine, and the ring at the top of the boot likes to be iffy.

I have zerks on SPCs, but they seem to suck at retaining the grease... seem to have pressure slots on mine, and the ring at the top of the boot likes to be iffy.
Same here. There's always grease around the bottom of the boot for me.

Just an FYI - I had uniball TC UCAs and LCAs on my Tacoma, and they were much higher maintenance than the SPCs I've had on 2 200s. The TCs need a lot of love and attention to stay happy and quiet, but they are nice and strong and perform well.
I'm not worried about maintenance. As long as there is a proper way to do it. The SPC seemed like I had to take out the whole assembly, regrease, put it back, then possibly get another alignment....not so great way to maintain it.

I'm not worried about maintenance. As long as there is a proper way to do it. The SPC seemed like I had to take out the whole assembly, regrease, put it back, then possibly get another alignment....not so great way to maintain it.

You definitely don't have to do that, but you do have to clean and grease every time they get dirty because if you don't they will moan and creak like an old pirate ship. You use PTFE spray lube which is definitely easier than a grease gun, but you have to thoroughly clean the uniballs and getting in the wheel well do to a couple times a month is a PITA. I chose SPC on the 200 last year after getting tired of the TC maintenance, but I think the TC likely performs a little better maybe?

You definitely don't have to do that, but you do have to clean and grease every time they get dirty because if you don't they will moan and creak like an old pirate ship. You use PTFE spray lube which is definitely easier than a grease gun, but you have to thoroughly clean the uniballs and getting in the wheel well do to a couple times a month is a PITA. I chose SPC on the 200 last year after getting tired of the TC maintenance, but I think the TC likely performs a little better maybe?

Mine are squeakier than a $3 rocking chair...

@mcgaskins Call me dumb... (nothing new there, haha)...but can you elaborate on your PTFE spray & how/where you're spraying it since grease zerks feed grease behind the boot.
??
Tons of products have PTFE, so curious what you are doing. Squeaks driving me nutty... :bang::cheers:

Last edited:
Turns out that you don’t need to open the KDSS valves to swap the UCA. It look about an hour and thirty ish to complete the job.

I really like how the colors go together really well. Bling factor!

if anyone is interested in my old SPCs. I reconditioned them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom