1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One last towing question...

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by BRICKTOP, Feb 27, 2007.

1. BRICKTOP

BRICKTOP

I am going to be towing some decent distances with about 4000 pounds of Silver Bullet (Airstream trailer) behind me this summer. Am I going to need some sort of sway control? I have never towed with a rig this small before and have never towed anything very large. Are there different options? Thanks in advance for your input.

2. badass

badass

With the short wheel base of the fjc, you will not be comfortable at highway speeds, it will be sliding left and right, braking won't be easy either. You know what you need, the new TUNDRA:cool:

3. BRICKTOP

BRICKTOP

so...

So what is the best way to keep it from wandering? Or do I just live with it.

4. saskdiesel

saskdiesel

I wouldn't do this.
    You need a longer wheelbase to deal with sway. Downhill under braking will be the worst.

5. ZFJCruiser

ZFJCruiser

Towing

Sounds like you are towing a Bambi travel trailer. The 16' has a GVWR of 3500 lbs plus your gear. To keep a 4000 lb travel trailer civil, it needs a load sharing hitch with an anti-sway feature. The short wheel base should not be too much of an issue - but don't plan on running the speed limit. You can plan on 10 - 12 mpg.

The most important part - have fun in your FJ! ;)

6. brew8

brew8 SILVER Star

Albums:
    Just get an equilizer hitch and transfer some of that weight to the front wheels and call it good, cheers, Larry