Old Stihl 041 FB chainsaw starter spring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have my Dad's old Stihl 041 Farm Boss, and it runs fine, great old saw that he used to build a nice log cabin in the NC mountains. Just broke the starter return spring. I'm having trouble finding parts (need spring and nylon starter ring in fan wheel). Everything i find is listed for the 041 AV, but mine is older than that (SN begins with 505). I've seen a thread on an old 041, so maybe someone knows how to find the correct part number for the older saw. There are several springs and rings listed on ebay (three different part numbers for springs). Any advice you can give would be appreciated.
Thanks

I dont know the answer,
But I bought my 041 from Milts, in Mechanicsville, MD.
back in the 70's. He is a wonderful Mennonite family, that has embraced some the modern world, but still holds to old time values and fairness.
I recently needed a chain drive sprocket, and without even looking, he knew where it was in his many parts boxes.
And he remember selling me the saw too. (probably amazed its still running)
Tell him Bob from Sandgates sent ya.
If your close enough its worth the drive to see what a little bit of hard work will do for ya.
Behind the sales counter is the original store he had many years ago with the one wall removed.
Good luck
Bobmo

I dont know the answer,
But I bought my 041 from Milts, in Mechanicsville, MD.
back in the 70's. He is a wonderful Mennonite family, that has embraced some the modern world, but still holds to old time values and fairness.
I recently needed a chain drive sprocket, and without even looking, he knew where it was in his many parts boxes.
And he remember selling me the saw too. (probably amazed its still running)
Tell him Bob from Sandgates sent ya.
If your close enough its worth the drive to see what a little bit of hard work will do for ya.
Behind the sales counter is the original store he had many years ago with the one wall removed.
Good luck
Bobmo
Thanks Bob. I will check with him, but my local Stihl dealer is also owned by an "old world" kinda guy (guess I'm one of those too). I did get the proper part number for my old saw from Millerbuilt, but am waiting to see if they can still get one from Stihl. They don't have one in their old stock. If they strike out with Stihl, I'll call Milt.
Evans

BTW, my local "old world" dealer did find the part. Got it installed after several exercises with stuffing the spring back into the housing. Seemed to work fine, but the "dogs" wouldn't engage the fan ring to turn the motor over once it was fully reassembled. Seems I failed to notice a small friction spring spoinging off somewhere when I took it apart. Found that on ebay, now awaiting delivery. Nuthin's easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom