Old RC Parts Source? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I came across one of my old RCs today, prob 15+ years old...

Cox-Kyosho.jpg

Cox-Kyosho1.jpg

I remember this was a Cox/Kyosho partnership, I believe Kyosho electronics and Cox chassis... I don't know. The servo is filthy, servo linkage parts are missing, etc. Does anyone know of a good parts source for old RCs? I would like to determine if getting it running again is even feasible...

Thanks -

I did some searching on ebay and prob searched the wrong keywords because I didn't find much of use. I will hit up tamiyaclub.com...

Thanks again!

I'm sure that was a nice car in it's day but I doubt you would come out ahead trying to fix it. These things are like computers and that's like trying to fix a old 286.

You can get some pretty nice deals on used cars that are a few years old. I would watch ebay for that and leave this one as a shelf queen.

FYI: the 1/18 scale cars/trucks/buggies made by the quality companies are real fun in the house!

Thanks to Dirtgypsy's tamiyaclub recommendation and digging through their forums I found some links to vintage RC sites and found the make/model for this thing. It is an early 80s Kyosho Cox Ultra Stock Toyota Supra Stadium Racer (chassis ran under various names - Kyosho Pegasus or Cox Bandido-1985). I really misjudged the age of it and how long I've had it... This RC is the first I had purchased that required assembly which is the part of the reason I am pursuing getting it running again.

After checking the electronics it appears all still work with the exception of the speed control... Oddly enough the chassis, complete with all electronics (including the speed control), is on ebay for $10.00. :clap:

So... in hopes that I win the auction and get to tear up some turf with a toy from my youth I cleaned it up!

The body paint was a mess, my first 'paint job'. Wrong paint, no prep... I remember going out for the first time and smacking a tree root and watching paint flake off like feathers at impact. :doh:

I taped off the holes in the body, lined the entire body with paper towels saturated in Dot3 and let it soak overnight.

3.jpg

Some warm water and a sponge the next morning and the existing paint slid off...

4.jpg

I had a can of Pactra fluorescent white and black undercoat on hand.... 5 coats of white with 2 layers of black.

6.jpg

The radio, receiver and steering servo are operational, the auction will provide the speed control (and a mess of spare parts). Aside from dirt/dust collected during layovers in storage the chassic & suspension are in good shape.

10.jpg

The last thing I need is another hobby, but the RC bug is biting. I figured I would jack with this thing and see if it evolves into me purchasing a crawler. I really like the CR01 but I'm not ready to drop the coin on a whim. Maybe this old rallycross Supra will answer the call or push me further into the madness... :lol:

12.jpg

Some additional informaiton for anyone interested... here are some handy sites I came across for vintage RC info/parts:

RC Junk Yard
RC Scrap Yard

Last edited:
Cool!!!

Just keep it, and play with it!

...I wish I still had my first Kyosho :frown:

That's a way cool car! I too have gotten some of my old cars going just for kicks. It feels good to drive the same exact rc you drove when you were a kid. That way of getting the old paint off the laxan is genius. I'm going to try that on a couple of older bodies I want to look good again.

Thanks for the compliment!

I won the auction which provided the parts needed to piece the speed control back together. Here is the chassis fully 'restored'...

CIMG2807.jpg

Threw in some batteries and it was ALIVE... Another 20+ year old 'toyota' still tearing it up!:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom