Old BFG Tires?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
This 60 has been sitting on and off possibly for the past 15 years. Although these BFGs have lots of tread, the tires might be around 15 years old?

Are they safe to use?

33 x 12.5 R15

IMG_4003.JPG

They look pretty good, but you have the closest eye on them. Inspect them for cracks and dry rot. Look at the side walls for damage or cracking. Make sure they're properly inflated, etc....

Ifthey look good and everything checks out, go ahead and drive that cruiser to the nearest Discount Tire and put some new rubber on the truck. A funeral is way more expensive than a cheap set of new tires. Just my two cents.

they'll just wear faster and lose some stickiness on the rocks. Some say if you treat tires with brake fluid, it helps preserve them. Brake fluid has rubber conditioners for the seals. I've done this with stored tires. None have melted because of it but I've never really done any side by side
scientific comparisons

Tires are like brakes to me. Do you trust your safety and your families with them if you are unsure if they are safe for the road. And then there is the liabillty for others... The one in photo does not look bad. I replaced my spare on my 85 Fj60. It was a H78 x 15. It still held air but it was cracked it was time for new rubber.

Happy cruising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom