old 80 with a new owner

Discussion in 'PA- Steel City Land Cruiser Club' started by launchit, Apr 4, 2016.

1. launchit

launchit

so a while back Tom decided i needed another good deal so he put me in contact with Chase to go look at his 80 . i didn't need it but my son will be driving soon so i said why not. it give me another reason to have another toyota in the lineup . So most of you have seen it before but we are trying to make this a little more daily driver friendly .

so far we haven't done much but we did switch up the 37s for a nice set of 33s i am going to remove the rear spacer to level it out a bit . We have a few electrical gremlins to look and the interior needs some attention and a few oil leaks to mend and then who knows .

i cant wait to drive it with the 33s i suspect it should be able to get out of its own way now .

KIMG0784.jpeg

KIMG0843.jpeg

2. launchit

launchit

so we started working on the 80 again . got a few things off the long list Swapped out a power steering box for a non leaking unit . Removed the rear coil spacer block now its sitting a 1.5 or so lower in the ass. installed a new stereo and thinned out the excessive wiring from 2 complete systems and what could have possibly been a alarm system or remote starter . i still have to find the massive oil leak from the motor its a mess i hope its not the rear seal . The 80 seems huge in the garage compared to the 40

3. launchit

launchit

well its officially on the road again kid passed his drivers test and away he goes. i have a question though i personally don't care for the all wheel drive it feels like it pulls harder on the front than the rear . i have been looking at the part time kits any suggestions ?

4. 97 greenmonster

97 greenmonster

Congratulations on getting it back on road, I'll keep eye out for it.

5. launchit

launchit

ok after running SLINKY for a week or so i was out of town and the boy said he lost the brakes and blew a brake line . i checked it out and it was blown out from the proportional valve to the rear end so i replaced all of those lines . Decided to move up to the front to rebuild the calipers since one was dragging from my test ride when we put it on the road i could not seem to get calipers thru any local parts stores . i also found that the front caliper piston was blown out and leaking because it was dragging eating the rotor to the fins . He claims he mentioned a brake smell to me when i was away but i must have never heard him . Apparently the driver side caliper must have been on there since 1991 .l snapped off both mounting bolts impact would not touch it apparently the pass was changed it had a new caliper and rotor . So i replaced both rotors and repacked the birfs . Anyway gas mileage should go up now on to the tune up.

poser pic from my test ride fj80 slinky.jpeg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.