Oil Woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=Seminole link=board=2;threadid=4388;start=msg32788#msg32788 date=1061166224]
:'(Do you see any leaking or seepage top side? Valve cover, block, oil filter, pressure switch? From your pics it looks like it might be the pan gasket.
[/quote]

No gasket, sealed with FIPG (but then Cdan has already said that), even from the factory. The 2nd Oil pan ( the big aluminum thing that runs the full length. It is a pretty common leak. About 6 hours to pull, clean and reseal. That is without pulling tranny. If you need the rear-main done as well, then he is about spot on with the time.

It would be worth to first drop both oil pans first and seal them with FIPG. This way you will solve the leaking pan and the leaking rear main retainer. If you do have the rear main replaced, have the retainer pulled and sealed too. I dropped the tranny 2 times to replace the rear main seal when it was the retainer to pan seal, could of saved a ton of time just sealing the oil pans.
I stopped the front part of the lower oil pan leak by loosing the bolts, packing the leaking part with FIPG and tightening the bolts per manual. So far no leak from the front part of motor. I first just tighten the pan bolts and stopped the leak near the PS pump. There was still a leak at the hump of the pan. That is where I packed the FIPG in.
Had I just sealed the oil pans first I would of not had to pack the front part of the pan and drop the trany 2 times.
kurt

[quote author=DLJ link=board=2;threadid=4388;start=msg34262#msg34262 date=1061602601]
Scott are you saying that "Princess" with a year old rear main seal still leaks 2qts every 5k miles????
[/quote]
Not sure where it's going, but it's no longer making it to the garage floor, which keeps my wife happy. The bottom of the tranny is still greasy, I haven't checked the oil pan bolts yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom