Oil pressure light came on and has stayed on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my oil pressure light has been on for awhile now and I'm just hoping g to find some answers here. So the oil level is slightly above full (from previous owner) and my oil pressure indicator doesn't ever go above the first bar. Could it be a bad pump or could the slightly full oil cuase low oil pressure?
20230514_141704.jpg

So my oil pressure light has been on for awhile now and I'm just hoping g to find some answers here. So the oil level is slightly above full (from previous owner) and my oil pressure indicator doesn't ever go above the first bar. Could it be a bad pump or could the slightly full oil cuase low oil pressure?View attachment 3322401
Note: my engine isn't running in the photo.

How come your oil pressure light has been on for awhile now ,

but it has taken you awhile to post this tech. assist thread here now ?

If my oil pressure light came on like you have going on there I would have reached out here H55F Jack Flash Fast 💨…..

- look at the single yellow wire / black tracer stripe and if you have one ?
Also the white wire w/ black tracer stripe wire to make sure like @coldtaco suggests first above …

If the yellow wire w / black tracer has broken off at the oul
Sender it self like can and does happen on older Toyota,s all the time
It’s frazzled copper strand wire then gets bounced around during all your bumps and stuff down under all over down in OZ …

That grounding out of that wire will and can make the Oil pressure light come on and stay on for longer then awhile because it has short circuited and melted down the guage in dash and fused then light to be ON now forever..

Carefully examine that clip or clips on the oil sender BELL 🛎️ and report back , take photos too Mate and post them here too 🙂

Study the tech. Photos in both links below this will help you get to the bottom of the oil pressure light being on for awhile now …

The oil pressure switch is different from the oil pressure gauge or its sender.
Supposedly, all the oil gauges read a bit low. As you said, mine also stays below the first bar.
I am 99% sure that your gauge needle would be all the way up or all the way down if the sender and/or its wire were short circuited.
Try to find the oil pressure switch and its wiring. Left side of engine maybe.

How come your oil pressure light has been on for awhile now ,

but it has taken you awhile to post this tech. assist thread here now ?

If my oil pressure light came on like you have going on there I would have reached out here H55F Jack Flash Fast 💨…..

- look at the single yellow wire / black tracer stripe and if you have one ?
Also the white wire w/ black tracer stripe wire to make sure like @coldtaco suggests first above …

If the yellow wire w / black tracer has broken off at the oul
Sender it self like can and does happen on older Toyota,s all the time
It’s frazzled copper strand wire then gets bounced around during all your bumps and stuff down under all over down in OZ …

That grounding out of that wire will and can make the Oil pressure light come on and stay on for longer then awhile because it has short circuited and melted down the guage in dash and fused then light to be ON now forever..

Carefully examine that clip or clips on the oil sender BELL 🛎️ and report back , take photos too Mate and post them here too 🙂

Study the tech. Photos in both links below this will help you get to the bottom of the oil pressure light being on for awhile now …

I've just done wjat you said and can't find anything out of the usual. None of the wiring seems snapped the circuit behind the gauge looks normal.
20230515_094227.jpg
20230515_094234.jpg
20230515_094813.jpg

The oil pressure switch is different from the oil pressure gauge or its sender.
Supposedly, all the oil gauges read a bit low. As you said, mine also stays below the first bar.
I am 99% sure that your gauge needle would be all the way up or all the way down if the sender and/or its wire were short circuited.
Try to find the oil pressure switch and its wiring. Left side of engine maybe.
Alright so I disconnected the clip on the oil sensor and the light still came on same with it plugged back in.

Right, disconnecting the sender would have no effect on that light.
The sender controls the gauge with its needle, the switch is simply connected to the dash light.
The sender is much larger than the switch. the sender is on the right side of the engine on my BJ.
The switch is maybe 25cm in diameter.
If there is wire damage, it is likely in the engine bay.

Right, disconnecting the sender would have no effect on that light.
The sender controls the gauge with its needle, the switch is simply connected to the dash light.
The sender is much larger than the switch. the sender is on the right side of the engine on my BJ.
The switch is maybe 25cm in diameter.
If there is wire damage, it is likely in the engine bay.
There isn't anything on the left side of the engine as far as I could see. Do you have a description of what the switch would look like? All I could see were these are any the switch you are referring to?
20230515_103543.jpg
20230515_102830.jpg
20230515_102821.jpg

i did not mean pull the cluster like that

just the engine bay BELL SENDER wires ..

but GOOD

- i have been asked countless times to Reproduce a oil sender and switch SUB HARNESS by the DIESEL Tech folks here

- NO gasoline Land Cruiser engine i know of has both a mechanical sender BELL and a IDIOT LIGHT SWITCH TOO ?

- but many DIESEL LAND CRUISER ones DO , YES

I have TECH pics ,

-
i do not have 100% of all the facts here on what ones do and do not ?

-
so , pardon my un-Toyota FSM terminology here also ,

YES i said SENDER AND SWITCH

mr. @jblueridge , would you please fill in the TECH holes on the double oil sender and switch topics and correct any facts i have in error pleas too , thanks :)

below is GOOD tech ,

also the image of the sensor above GREEN plug ?

is this a OIL SWITCH ? i cant say so ?

here is WHY :

TECH TREAD ON THIS TOPIC HERE ALSO :

MEJ597C - Copy.png

20210801_191805-jpg.2747438

20210801_210502-jpg.2747519

db4a00d2-d280-4006-9302-b8b304fe445d-jpeg.2780628
34b0fba1-4a53-4f31-a900-0800afb1dc92-jpeg.2775299

cd377225-d765-45a9-a43b-9fc81377ef5b-jpeg.2780629

OilSenderAndSwitch (1)1.jpg

i did not mean pull the cluster like that

just the engine bay BELL SENDER wires ..

but GOOD

- i have been asked countless times to Reproduce a oil sender and switch SUB HARNESS by the DIESEL Tech folks here

- NO gasoline Land Cruiser engine i know of has both a mechanical sender BELL and a IDIOT LIGHT SWITCH TOO ?

- but many DIESEL LAND CRUISER ones DO , YES

I have TECH pics ,

-
i do not have 100% of all the facts here on what ones do and do not ?

- so , pardon my un-Toyota FSM terminology here also ,

YES i said SENDER AND SWITCH

mr. @jblueridge , would you please fill in the TECH holes on the double oil sender and switch topics and correct any facts i have in error pleas too , thanks :)

below is GOOD tech ,

also the image of the sensor above GREEN plug ?

is this a OIL SWITCH ? i cant say so ?

here is WHY :

TECH TREAD ON THIS TOPIC HERE ALSO :

View attachment 3323262
20210801_191805-jpg.2747438

20210801_210502-jpg.2747519

db4a00d2-d280-4006-9302-b8b304fe445d-jpeg.2780628
34b0fba1-4a53-4f31-a900-0800afb1dc92-jpeg.2775299

cd377225-d765-45a9-a43b-9fc81377ef5b-jpeg.2780629

View attachment 3323263
This is the closest thing thing I could find to what you showed me. The lead from the sender intor this "relay" and then a sing wire continues into the wiring harness. I cannot find any switch that connects into the engine like the last picture supplied.
20230515_111018.jpg

This is the closest thing thing I could find to what you showed me. The lead from the sender intor this "relay" and then a sing wire continues into the wiring harness. I cannot find any switch that connects into the engine like the last picture supplied.View attachment 3323277

see my pics below

ALL that Corrosion and dirt mud and crap in those connector plugs CAN be your problem ?

CAN ?

clean them up and make good solid electrical BRASS ON BRASS contact here

this a RED FLAG to me ...⛳

Do only 1 Connetor a time

Do NOT pull both off same time

Fyi

The grunge here is NoT Normal

AE0B0484-AFC0-44D5-A0DC-46B51DD40FB4.jpeg
077128B6-AF96-49ED-BDE5-390D97472DBD.jpeg

Toyodiy.com shows that engine should have an oil pressure sender and an oil level sensor.
It also shows that engine does not have and oil pressure switch.

I think you should also post on the Diesel and 24V section and search for the oil level sensor.

I found a pic of the oil level sensor.
It looks like it has 4 or 5 bolts and a white plastic socket for the wiring to plug into.
Probably bolted on the side of the engine with just the socket sticking out.

1684123958902.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom