Oil in intake and loss of power (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not to be an ass or anything but did you tripple and double and once over if you put the cap on the right way and the plug wires to the correct plugs...

Don't bother removing the heat shield - a blocked cat isn't something you'll see from the outside unless you smashed it on a rock or something. The internals rust and finally a sizeable baffle or other metal plate will flip up and block a lot of airflow. Blocked exhaust is the only thing I've ever seen cause red hot manifolds in normal driving. Could be the muffler's the culprit as well. Try banging on them to see if you can hear any large metal pieces obviously loose.

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
Don't bother removing the heat shield - a blocked cat isn't something you'll see from the outside unless you smashed it on a rock or something. The internals rust and finally a sizeable baffle or other metal plate will flip up and block a lot of airflow. Blocked exhaust is the only thing I've ever seen cause red hot manifolds in normal driving. Could be the muffler's the culprit as well. Try banging on them to see if you can hear any large metal pieces obviously loose.

DougM

The cats did take some abuse but that was over 4 months ago. I replaced the PCV valve and the heating stopped. Now it just runs crappy since it was dark when I did the PCV and I couldn't do the timing. And by me I mean my friend who knows how to do it :D

A new PCV valve didn't stop your overheating....That will just make a difference in your oil consumption.

DougM

nyk438 said:
The cats did take some abuse but that was over 4 months ago. I replaced the PCV valve and the heating stopped. Now it just runs crappy since it was dark when I did the PCV and I couldn't do the timing. And by me I mean my friend who knows how to do it :D

Mine waited a few months before finally rattling something loose and getting a "bit" backed up-this after a couple of good meetings with rocks-I may go leave the cats on the rocks as they seem to need to work some problems out between them.

I'd go DougMs route first. Check the 3FE board if anyone that is not emissions restrained has a couple of catalytic converters for you in good shape. You usually want new-but hey, strapped for cash and they work. I'd offer you mine but they are probably not the best...and I need to leave them with the rocks as before mentioned ;)

Moreover-a little background info regarding your work done thusfar-is it safe to assume you ONLY changed the cap and rotor of the distributor and NOT the entire distriubutor as I think some thought you might have??? Because if you changed the distributor (the whole unit) you may very well be off a tooth as 3FJ40 mentioned-hence timing issues.

fj803fe said:
Mine waited a few months before finally rattling something loose and getting a "bit" backed up-this after a couple of good meetings with rocks-I may go leave the cats on the rocks as they seem to need to work some problems out between them.

I'd go DougMs route first. Check the 3FE board if anyone that is not emissions restrained has a couple of catalytic converters for you in good shape. You usually want new-but hey, strapped for cash and they work. I'd offer you mine but they are probably not the best...and I need to leave them with the rocks as before mentioned ;)

Moreover-a little background info regarding your work done thusfar-is it safe to assume you ONLY changed the cap and rotor of the distributor and NOT the entire distriubutor as I think some thought you might have??? Because if you changed the distributor (the whole unit) you may very well be off a tooth as 3FJ40 mentioned-hence timing issues.

I did change the whole distributor and it seems today when I was trying to get the timing right I was off a tooth or 2. I can get it to stay on and not shake while idling but still there isn't any power and the engine runs like crap. Will check the 3FE boards for an extra cat, thanks for the advice.

Now I'm off to work to help pay for my F*ucking cruiser :D

you do realize that you are *not supposed* to get any power with a 3FE, right?

:D

e9999 said:
you do realize that you are *not supposed* to get any power with a 3FE, right?

:D

Har har :rolleyes: :D

Just got her running "right" tonight, I had the distributor in 180 degrees the wrong way :doh:. Also broke off a small hose coming off the intake hose :slap: :doh: :censor:

nyk438 said:
Har har :rolleyes: :D

Just got her running "right" tonight, I had the distributor in 180 degrees the wrong way :doh:. Also broke off a small hose coming off the intake hose :slap: :doh: :censor:

that's nothing! I put a camshaft in 180 off when I was young and innocent....
was sucking air in the exhaust pipe... :cool:

actually, that was quite impressive considering I only had a screwdriver, a pair of pliers and a piece of wood to do the whole job... :D

e9999 said:
that's nothing! I put a camshaft in 180 off when I was young and innocent....
was sucking air in the exhaust pipe... :cool:

actually, that was quite impressive considering I only had a screwdriver, a pair of pliers and a piece of wood to do the whole job... :D

Damn, only a screwdriver, pair of pliers and a piece of wood...Ya go some skills, all I had was sock wrench kit, screwdrivers, pliers, a tool to grab s*** I dropped, and some other stuff....Glad I keep a plethora of tools in my truck. :D

nyk438 Quote:

Damn, only a screwdriver, pair of pliers and a piece of wood...Ya go some skills, all I had was sock wrench kit, screwdrivers, pliers, a tool to grab s*** I dropped, and some other stuff....Glad I keep a plethora of tools in my truck.

A "plethora?" Yup...college student.

Most guys here would say "bunch." ;)

So?

Now that you're at "full power" what's the story with oil?

Good luck...

Truckasaurus said:
nyk438 Quote:

Damn, only a screwdriver, pair of pliers and a piece of wood...Ya go some skills, all I had was sock wrench kit, screwdrivers, pliers, a tool to grab s*** I dropped, and some other stuff....Glad I keep a plethora of tools in my truck.

A "plethora?" Yup...college student.

Most guys here would say "bunch." ;)

So?

Now that you're at "full power" what's the story with oil?

Good luck...

Yup college student, and broke as ever. :crybaby:

It burned off and there doesn't seem to be any in the intake anymore once I replaced the PCV valve.

nyk438 said:
Yup college student, and broke as ever. :crybaby:

It burned off and there doesn't seem to be any in the intake anymore once I replaced the PCV valve.

Knowing now its gone this is sorta moot....But heres what I have done. I change the filter bottle every once in a while-but my intake and hose are CLEEEAAAAN after 35K miles. That and I change my PCV valve at regular intervals.

3fe_filter.jpeg

Kinda embarrased about the dusty engine bay-been running alot out in the field for work lately...

Rich said:
Oil in intake is due to bad pcv valve.

Is the PCV the only source of oil in the intake hose between the air filter and the intake manifold? My 3FE has two hoses coming from the valve cover to the intake. One is comes from the rear of the valve cover, ~ over the #6 cylinder, and appears to have the PCV valve. The other comes directly from the valve cover, ~ over the #2or3 cylinder, and doesn't seem to have a check valve of any sort, PCV or otherwise, and goes directly into the intake hose, as shown with the blue separator pictured above. What is the function of this second, non-PCV hose? :confused: It seems to be the main suspect in oiling up my intake hose.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom