OHV park creation in NC

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by corax, Feb 15, 2009.

1. corax

corax

got my email sent - OK, c'mon guys . . . it's as simple as sending an email, just copy/paste the addresses (bottom of this post)and the sample letter (next post) and click "send" - if NC gets a park and all goes well, neighboring states may begin to notice and follow their example. It'd be nice to have more than 1 or 2 choices on the entire east coast

2. corax

corax

Dear Senator,

I am writing this to all the Senators on the Commerce Committee, asking you to support Senate Bill 45*, which, according to The North Carolina General Assembly web site, is now under consideration by the Commerce Committee.

We have an odd happenstance here, in my opinion. At a time when national interest in preserving the environment is extremely strong, we also have a huge growth in Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) ownership and use. These two interests have continued to collide over the last couple of years as the swelling OHV usership seeks areas to enjoy their sport while environmental activists try to protect our natural resources and environment.

In this bill you have a unique opportunity to bring the two disparate groups together! Passage of this bill would be a forward step in providing OHV access in an environmentally sound environment. Creation of The OHV Trust Fund and implementation of the bill would allow our state to be on the forefront of a movement to provide environmental friendly, properly designed and managed OHV recreation areas for the citizens of North Carolina!

I also would like to urge you to emend the wording of the bill as it pertains to OHVs. All terrain vehicles (ATVs) and motorcycles are not the only users of OHV trails. Many full size, four wheel drive vehicles such as Jeeps are also used in an OHV manner as well as dune buggies, and with the proliferation of the sport, custom built chassis off road vehicles. I would like to add these OHVs to the bill by emending the wording to read; "Off-highway vehicle" or "OHV" means any off-road motorcycles, three or four-wheel all-terrain vehicles, four wheel drive motor vehicles intended by the user or owner to be used in recreational pursuits, custom chassis rock crawlers, or dune buggies. "

Thank you for your consideration of this bill which would be beneficial not only to the OHV community but while providing environmentally sound OHV recreation would also speak to North Carolina's forward thinking in environmental/recreation issues on a national level!

Thanks for your help

3. corax

corax

I'm starting to get some responses back . . .

Thank you for writing about Senate Bill 45. I believe the proposal has great merit, and I plan to support the bill when it comes up for a vote.

Phil Berger
    -----------
    Thank you for your email. Senator Queen is no longer on this committee but we will keep your concerns in mind.

-----------
    Bastard, thank you for your message. I will certainly consider your thoughts when we consider this legislation.

Neal Hunt
    Senate Republican Deputy Leader
    Wake County (District 15)
    919 781-3464

I'm kinda surprised I didn't just get form letter responses

c'mon guys . . . it's just an email, let's get this moving, even if you don't live in NC, every bit helps

4. BMThiker

BMThiker I aim to misbehave Moderator SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    FYI, The word is AMEND, not emend. Kudos to you for assembling this info for your fellow southeastern OHV'ers.

5. corax

corax

Oops . . . . I should have speel checked it before copying it . . . .

I can't really take credit for getting this info together though, I just cross posted it from somewhere else, though I agree, the format does make it easy for people to get active.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.