offroad trailer storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently opened up my trailer (a modified CDN M101 with a custom lid) to go grab some chairs only to discover an inch or so of rusty water in it and a good growth of mold/mildew underway.
I had put seals all around the lid and tailgate, and plugged the drainholes, in an effort to keep it dust free inside when travelling our dusty logging roads up here.
It's worked pretty well for the last few years, but over this winter it looks like small leak has developed where the RTT bolts through the lid, and lots of condensation developed just from our general wet coast weather here in the Vancouver area.

Aside from checking it more often, and caulking up the bolt holes, I'm thinking of adding a small solar fan into the lid like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunvent-SV-12-Solar-Ventilation-Greenhouse/dp/B002MVIPPW

Should help with air movement and controlling the funk.

And some kind of crimped "motorcycle style" vent hose to drain any water that does collect inside.

Anyone done anything similar?

Did you weld the drain holes or do you have some sort of removable cap? I would add drain holes with a good sealing plug if it does not. Also, do you keep it outside (use a tarp)? If kept inside, where did the water come from- maybe something leaked and you did not notice?

I would rather deal with dust than rust. My 65 M416 still has good seal on the drains. Can filled it with water and will not leak. It not covered but leave the plugs open. Unless your keeping stuff stored inside would not keep the lid closed. Keeping it dry inside is more important that keeping out dust. Build a area with raised pavers with plastic underneath as a vapor seal. Add a waterproof cover that a foot or so taller and leave the led cracked so it can breath. To keep our dust cover cover with a old bed sheet or two. Does your RTT mildew inside. I live in the desert and deal with enty of dust. But even here if the ground below is not ventalated it will stay damp. Creating a vapor seals help a lot.

I ended up building a 12x16 shed and push the M101CDN into it during the winter. It had to happen because my wife wasn't into a 3rd year of having it occupy the carport while her daily driver sat in the snow. If you could swing the shed or at least canopy of some sort you could avoid rain/snow getting inside and leave the lid cracked open.

I'd almost bet half or more of the water inside was from the condensation. You'll never be able to seal it with dry air inside. Fix the leak, keep it covered, but keep the drains open. That way condensation won't build up and there is a way for the temps inside to adjust relatively quickly to changes in outer air temps. It's the difference in those temps that makes condensation inside. Adding the solar fan and venting is going to help that process so long as there's no way it will introduce a leak. If there's a concern about pest getting in through the drains, putt some screen wire over them but still leave open. The dust can only be a minor factor if just the drains are open. If you add a solar fan it may bring in more dust compared to drains only for venting. A filter might largely solve that.

You're right, the minimal amount of dust that could potentially enter through the OEM drain holes would be nothing. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I had just gooped some silicone over them so easy to open up again.
The CDN m101s dont have any valves on them like the US model, but apparently there were some plugs that could be put in when they need to make them floatable.
And yes, its just been sitting outside with a tarp over the RTT, not the trailer. Long term plans to build a carport one day (existing garage was the carport years ago).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom