OEM Toyota 9.5" 4.88 gears (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bjowett

Supporting Vendor
Threads
They exist! Late model 4.88 gear sets for the rear axle. A set is on the way from Japan... should be interesting. Part number for the 2007 - 2015 is 41201-80495, 2016 and up is 41201-80599. Not quite sure what has changed or if the older number will supersede to the newer, but the later 80599 has been ordered, and I will compare it to the factory 2009 gears that are here.

Sub'd!

SWEET!

Considering the 16+ has a 3.31 gear ratio stock, jumping to 4.88 seems a bit extreme no? I have front/rear bumpers, drawers, sliders, etc. on 34" tires and still feel the stock gearing in Colorado is adequate. I imagine drivability would be worse on 4.88s actually unless you were insanely heavy and had 35" or larger tires.

Considering the 16+ has a 3.31 gear ratio stock, jumping to 4.88 seems a bit extreme no? I have front/rear bumpers, drawers, sliders, etc. on 34" tires and still feel the stock gearing in Colorado is adequate. I imagine drivability would be worse on 4.88s actually unless you were insanely heavy and had 35" or larger tires.

Yea, I imagine 4.10 would be more appropriate. Based on most discussions here on this board, the stock gear ratio is more than sufficient in most cases from my reading at least.

It has been conjectured that a good fit for the 2016+ would be a 2008-2015 3.909 (stock) set.

Keep in mind that going up in tire size and not adjusting gearing has many other effects than just how the vehicle "feels" when driving. Oversize tires on stock gears can add a ton of load / heat into the rest of the drive train components and make the vehicle less efficient.

Think of it like if you were running, maybe you run a 8 minute mile on avg and that is your comfortable cadence. If you went running with and paced someone either slower or faster than you for a distance you would find that at minimum it was uncomfortable, at maximum potentially harmful for your body.

Gears (my experience is with 4.88) make a large improvement even at stock tire size for the 2008-2015 drivetrain. I can't speak to the newer wider ratio transmission, but it's reputed to somewhat minimize the need for a ratio update.

I would bet that a 3.9 or 4.10 or more?! in the 2016+ is still a worthy investment, particularly for high weight and/or very large tires.

In this case, they are used in a different vehicle (Toyota Dyna) that also has the 9.5" rear differential. The 2016 split, while coinciding with the Land Cruisers move to the 8 speed transmission and 3.31 ratio, has nothing to do with that aspect of it. The 2016 will likely do well with 3.90 or 4.10, as mentioned above.

I’m a Nitro Gear fan but... Toyota 4.88s! Nothing better.

I’m just waiting for factory 5.29s, then I can die a happy man.

Sub'd.

Did you happen to buy all those shims?
Or you have them in the garage.

The update from 2015-19 should have 4.3's. At least the Aussie ones do
For the US refresh, we went to 3.307:1 as we got the 8 speed tranny with a deeper first gear.

(But higher final drive ratio, which makes it harder to stay locked up on the highway)

Last edited:
Physical proof. Toyota gears come with a minor install kit... ring gear bolts, crush sleeve, pinion nut, and seal.

IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2732.JPG

IMG_2733.JPG

Anyone with the 4.3's wanna send em to me in Australia? Ill take every set you can find (Perfect for the diesels)
if you have access to american Ebay, 2007 and up Tundra/Sequoia 4wd with towing package come with 4.3 ratio gears.
combine that with a rear set from a 98-99 land cruiser and you can source a full set of factory gears relatively cheaply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom