OE size or go bigger... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm considering switching out my OE tires on my 200 series. The question I have is whether I should consider going bigger. Some facts:

*Stock vehicle - no lift etc
*Live in PNW - Portland, OR
*I mostly do highway driving but may do some trips through mountain passes with snow. May also do some light off-roading for backcountry camping
*Don't want to take too much of a hit to MPG or road noise
*I'm considering the General Grabber ATX - simply because they are rated so well

I know these tires are likely more than what I need, being E rated and quite aggressive. But I do like the look of the more aggressive tires and I imagine even if I stick to the stock size (285/60R18) the more aggressive tread and side wall should make the tires look a bit larger than the OE ones and therefore fill out the wheel arch a little more. I don't believe the General Grabber ATX comes in a C or D rating from what I can tell.

My question is - should I consider going up a size to either a 285/65R18 or 275/70R18? I see a lot of people on this forum who do go bigger and I'm wondering is it mostly purely for looks or is there other benefits to going bigger? I can see some downsides namely the additional weight. Given my typical driving environment would people recommend I just stick with OE size or?

Thanks all for any feedback!

Rich

Aggressive OEM size best option for you. I did the same as I didn't want to do any BMC etc even though I have a one inch lift via the Bilstein 6112. I stuck to OEM 265-70x17 but with all terrain capable E rated Geolandar MTG003 that does good on tarmac and rains but exceptional on gravel and mud. Just air down on rocky gravel terrains for your E rated and adjust tarmac pressure accordingly.

The MPG hit is from going from P rated highway tires to LT-E all terrains, not from the size change. There is a very slight ground clearance advantage when going one size up, but it’s mostly for looks. Based on your description through, I would go for a P rated tire. An E rated tire will hurt ride quality and mileage, and it sounds like you don’t need the sidewall toughness of an LT-E tire for what you will be doing. Lots of P rated AT tires in 275/65/18.

The difference in MPG between two sizes of the same E rated AT tire will be insignificant ...the mileage hit will be going to an E rated tire in the first place. Research the weight difference between the two sizes of the tire you’re considering...it will be minimal compared to the weight jump from P to LT-E in stock size. If you’re set on going with an E rated tire, you might as well go 285/65/18 or 275/70/18.

Note that there is a P rated AT tire in 275/70/18, the General Grabber APT. At least one MUD member has them on his 200 and is pleased with them for on road use with no mileage penalty vs stock Dunlops.

Last edited:
@JohnPW - thank you kindly for the advice and the P rated APT recommendation - I think I will go that path!

@RoyFJ - thanks for the feedback

If you get the General APT, please do a review on here. I have been interested in this tire as a replacement when the stock tires wear out on my 2016 LC. Note that I’m not recommending them as I cannot find many reviews on them, and I don’t have any first hand experience with them. Supposedly similar to Continental TerrainContact (Continental owns General), and the TerrainContact is well reviewed as a “light AT” that is very good on road. But the Conti is only available as LT-E in larger sizes. I did connect with aMUD member who likes the General APT in 275/70/18 after 7000 miles on-road. No idea how they are off road or in snow, or how long they last.

Last edited:
Picking tires is hard... now I'm looking at the Geolandar A/T G015 - they have many many sizes - and weight is comparable to the General Grabber APT. Price wise I can get the Geolandars cheaper. So now I'm torn. If I was going with the Geolandar I think I would go stock size 285/60R18 as the dimensions of that tire and weight look good to me.

Any thoughts anyone!

Picking tires is hard... now I'm looking at the Geolandar A/T G015 - they have many many sizes - and weight is comparable to the General Grabber APT. Price wise I can get the Geolandars cheaper. So now I'm torn. If I was going with the Geolandar I think I would go stock size 285/60R18 as the dimensions of that tire and weight look good to me.

Any thoughts anyone!
I'm torn too, I really like the fact that the Geolandar's are great in snow and ice and the price and size are good. I have an 06 LC stock OEM is 275/60/R18. On the other hand I have heard great things about the Falken WILDPEAK A/T3W 275/65/R18 (even though discount tire says they wont fit). Both comparable in price. Falkens have a tread pattern close to the Duratreks, which is great in snow and ice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom