Not sure if you guys are aware of this... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WHere does lojack work, last check there was no coverage in ID MT or WY. JDay any info on what kind of removable kill switch you use, that sounds like a better solution than I currently use.

Works in most all of the i-5 corador of Western WA.......which is where I live. But for coverage, check their web site. Its up the police if they want Lojack or not, Lojack suplies the recivers for the police cars/planes for free......it not a satilite based system, its based in the cop cars/planes

baloo said:
WHere does lojack work, last check there was no coverage in ID MT or WY. JDay any info on what kind of removable kill switch you use, that sounds like a better solution than I currently use.

Back in 95, while working in Glacier Park in Montana I had to drive a Ford Taurus rental while my rig was in the shop for a week. I kept the rental keys seperate from my other main key ring.

One morning around 2:00 a.m., coming back into the park from a night of beer drinking at the Great Northern in Whitefish, I pulled off a remote area by Lake McDonald to get out and look at the northern lights....... and locked the keys in the car. I knew no one was coming by and thought I was bear meat.

After trying the key pad with random numbers for about an hour I was in full panic and in desperation took my regular key set out of my pocket and tried an old key to my dad's 75 Ford F-100. It unlocked the door beautifully!

The next day I found the key pad code in the trunk of the car, wrote it down and put in in my wallet, and memorized it, but a key to a 20 year older vehicle saved me from being a possible bear snack/and or having to trek about 10 miles back to a ranger station crying like a baby. :crybaby:

I tried my '89's key on my brother in law's '88. It was a no go on the door. Too bad because he's out
of town and it would have been fun to take it for a joyride.

While on this topic, does anyone know if a prof. locksmith can recondition cylinders for the ignition and door locks? Or does one have to buy a whole new OEM set? Jamot - great story! It sounds like a script to one of those cliche teen horror movies.

Need key for FJ40

My buddy just bought a 1980 FJ40 from a police impound yard and it does not have a key. I know on the FJ62 the code is on the passenger side door lock barrel or something. Does the 40 have a similarly hidden key code? Is there a way to order a key with just the VIN?

The VIN is FJ40318880 if anyone happens to have carfax or if one of our esteemed partspimps feel like looking it up to check history that would be fantastic.

LandPimp can probably tell me what time of the day it was made by the VIN. :)

Thanks,

Dunbar

Back in High school I drove a 22R pick-up. The key would open and start most of the other 80's toyotas in the school lot at that time. The key was so warn that it bacame a skeleton key.

I just bought the whole OEM lock set from Toyota for my buddy's 90 4-Runner. It was $200 but it came with the ignition cylinder, the 2 front door locks, the rear hatch lock, 3 keys, and the ID for the keys. It wasn't that hard to install, and my Toyota parts guy said they make these for all the cars. Hope he is right. I want to do it for some of my cruisers.

Aseif007 said:
Back in High school I drove a 22R pick-up. The key would open and start most of the other 80's toyotas in the school lot at that time. The key was so warn that it bacame a skeleton key.

I just bought the whole OEM lock set from Toyota for my buddy's 90 4-Runner. It was $200 but it came with the ignition cylinder, the 2 front door locks, the rear hatch lock, 3 keys, and the ID for the keys. It wasn't that hard to install, and my Toyota parts guy said they make these for all the cars. Hope he is right. I want to do it for some of my cruisers.

I don't think they make the cruiser kit any longer, you have to buy each one seperatly.

Zack

Aseif007 said:
I think you are right. I called Toyota and they said that the 88 was available, but the 87 wasn;t as a kit. Oh well.

It's a PIA, because you have to get a locksmith to make all the locks based on 1 key. I did it on my 87 fj60 a few years ago.

Zack

willing to bet its the same spot as a 60-2, super easy to pull to check. 80 is to old to run the VIN and get the code.

sorry no car fax :(

and I can't read VIN's but I hope its a 8/80+ :)

Dunbar said:
My buddy just bought a 1980 FJ40 from a police impound yard and it does not have a key. I know on the FJ62 the code is on the passenger side door lock barrel or something. Does the 40 have a similarly hidden key code? Is there a way to order a key with just the VIN?

The VIN is FJ40318880 if anyone happens to have carfax or if one of our esteemed partspimps feel like looking it up to check history that would be fantastic.

LandPimp can probably tell me what time of the day it was made by the VIN. :)

Thanks,

Dunbar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom