Northwest Trail Innovations front & rear bumpers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looked for some reasonably priced bumpers for my 60 for a while. Came across NWTI on accident and sent him a message. For around $600 shipped I got front and rear weld together bumpers. He shipped through Fastenal so it wasn't a million dollars in shipping. Also a very nice feature of going through this company is I probably sent him 40 text messages throughout the whole process and he always responded promptly and courteously which is awesome! You need a welder and a grinder to put these together and not much else.

Rear bumper went together super easy. Maybe a couple hours of fitting and an hour of grinding/painting. My rear crossmember was bent so it took some persuasion with a BFH to get it to sit right. Basically everything is welded to those recovery points and then the bolts go through them and the frame, I made it so there was 5 grade 8 bolts on either side along with two in the middle for a total of 12. Granted the two middle ones are bolted to the rather unimpressive aforementioned crossmember. The bumper is not boxed but it will be good enough for protection and a little light duty towing and recovery. It probably only weighs 40 lbs or so.
20151103_095930_zpska31vqpm.jpg

20151112_135133_zpsq4sk6cgl.jpg

Front bumper was a little more involved. If you have a normal 8k winch you don't have to cut your valence but I was running a old school Warn 10k which evidently is a lot bigger than the 8 or 9k winches.
Again this was a weld together and there were probably 14 different pieces in various shapes and sizes. Took maybe 3-4 hours of aligning and tack welding and then another 2 hours of welding inside and out plus another 2 hours of finishing. It went together remarkably easy considering how many angles I had to get right. Also mounts with 12 grade 8 fasteners to the frame rails.
20151110_103818_zpsemdmuxws.jpg

I like the profile of it and the approach angle is pretty darn good. Again you can see I had to cut the valence due to the giant badonk a donk on my winch (yes that's a scientific term). The wings are unboxed which means they won't hold up to severe wheeling but all in all probably more than I'll ever need. Front bumper might weight 70lbs, I was able to pick it up fairly easily with the winch installed which means it probably wasn't over 140lbs total.
20151111_123331_zpshbeszker.jpg

Tested out the winch and bumper today by snatching it off the fj40 in the shop to the fj55 to pull it into the shop. It wasn't a difficult pull (although I may have forgot to take 55 outta gear at one point) but the bumper didn't budge one bit. Nice product and nice company, I'm happy.
20151112_125415_zpsic0srzon.jpg

20151112_125649_zps6eepowdr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom