Noisy Injector Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dear Members,

I have a 1997 JDM HDJ81V with a 1HD-FT engine.

Recently I've noticed a high pitch noise from the injector pump which is heard when the engine warms up.

When I pump the lift pump a few times it disappears for a few seconds and comes back.

This only happened after I put in a dose of injector cleaner in the tank.

Thought maybe the fuel filter is clogged, changed with a new genuine filter (I always use genuine filters) but no change.

Anyone experienced this??

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

sounds like your sucking air.
I think that is the reason my truck just died on the way home.

Oops. Sorry ForealBoreal. When you say died, what exactly happened??

I've checked all the fuel lines and changed and tightened the filter. No joy.

Put a clear line from the IP to the Pump and see if she is sucking air. The Factory filter assembly is bad for letting in air....

Oops. Sorry ForealBoreal. When you say died, what exactly happened??

I've checked all the fuel lines and changed and tightened the filter. No joy.

Loss of power with a fresh filter (2 weeks back) engine becomes noisey.
Varying idle rpm. Lope idle. Died directly in front of the house coming home from work.

Put a clear line from the IP to the Pump and see if she is sucking air. The Factory filter assembly is bad for letting in air....

I can hear the factory assembly sucking air. The racor I bought is at the shop but they are closed today. I'll be trying my hardest to get a racor on the truck as a replacement tomorrow.

Had this problem once before, plugged up fuel filter in my case..

Dear Members,

I have a 1997 JDM HDJ81V with a 1HD-FT engine.

Recently I've noticed a high pitch noise from the injector pump which is heard when the engine warms up.

When I pump the lift pump a few times it disappears for a few seconds and comes back.

This only happened after I put in a dose of injector cleaner in the tank.

Thought maybe the fuel filter is clogged, changed with a new genuine filter (I always use genuine filters) but no change.

Anyone experienced this??

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

Does it change in intensity/frequency when you increase the RPMs? The only thing that lifting the hand primer would affect is the feed pump. It maybe taking the load off the feed pump and thus taking the load off the bearings on the shaft inside the pump.
You might want to check the gauze around the fuel pick up in the tank.
But if the noise is from a bearing inside the pump , expect to fork out $$$

put a brand new racor 2 micron filter assembly and pump on (seems to be pumping plenty of fuel as the primer gets hard)
New line feeding the filter, new line going from filter to hard line, new line going from hardline to pump.
Still having some issues even though its better than before. Still a rough really low struggling idle.

Time to get a clear 3/8 line and plumb it from the fuel filter to the pump.
I have been told there is a chance it could be the fuel sender to the hardline hose.
Its freaking brutal trying to squeeze on 3/8 line onto the fittings in the cold. Just fighting it, i need a heat gun!

any other advice?

3/8? I thought it was 1/2"?

10mm id fuel hose from what I am reading.
I swear I compared the hose a few weeks back and 1/2 was just to big. I figure I just bought some stiff ass walled fuel hose.
Since it's freezing out I am going to have to heat up ends some how to help work on the barbed fittings. My truck has two more hose spots I haven't changed (tank sender to hard line and hard line to hard line by the transfer case.
Pain in the ass.

plumbed clear line from the new racor to the injection pump. I am not sucking air.
Truck still runs like s***, needs to be reved up to run.
I am starting to think along with one other person that the 2 micron isn't allowing enough flow. Thinking of buying a 10 or 40 micron filter and giving that a go.
The R45s is good for 45gph. My buddies duramax has no issues with it yet again he has a pusher pump that exceeds 100gph with the common rail and all.
Any ideas?

I have the same filter setup with a 10mu filter seems to be the one thing not giving me issues at the moment.

I ended up starting a thread up with my issues.
I am going to run fuel straight to the IP tomorrow.
Right from a Jerry can with a primer bulb.

If the truck runs fine, i know its something within my fuel system (before the IP).

I have been told to check to make sure the cut off solenoid with a positive lead to make sure it "clicks"
Also about seeing if there is an access cover to check the fuel pickup.

There's an access cover for accessing the fuel pickup though you'll have to peel back the carpet under the rear seats.

Have you ever checked the strainer that sits inside the ip under the fuel cut solenoid?

I started another thread instead of poaching this guys.
I thought that could be a possiblity.
I ruled that out when I ran the truck for 10 minutes out of a jerry can with a clear line feeding the pump (bypassing the filter)

Gonna try and revive this thread to get some input on my ticking. So on my 93 1hdt I get a ticking sound from injector pump but only when cold. Once it warms up it goes away. Also when it is doing it (while cold) if I give it just a tiny bit of throttle, and i mean a tiny bit, like 1-200 rpms it stops. Pump does not appear to be leaking anywhere

Sounds like your ACSD is worn . Its an emissions device which changes the timing slightly when cold. The bad news is it will get worse and eventually break off sending metal shards through your pump. It can cost $1000s. You can safely remove it and place the blanking plate over it.
You can use a plate off any pump that fits, its a common shape and size.
This is a 1HZ plate below and will be fine. Best to replace the oring as well

1582164396190.png

1582164520947.png

1582164672530.png

Sounds like your ACSD is worn . Its an emissions device which changes the timing slightly when cold. The bad news is it will get worse and eventually break off sending metal shards through your pump. It can cost $1000s. You can safely remove it and place the blanking plate over it.
You can use a plate off any pump that fits, its a common shape and size.
This is a 1HZ plate below and will be fine. Best to replace the oring as well

View attachment 2215974

View attachment 2215976

View attachment 2215978
Thank you for replying. I found another thread about this that you were active in a few years ago. So where can I source one of these as I live in the States so some of this stuff is a little hard to find. I found a link on ebay for the plate but cant find the o ring. In the other thread it appears advancing or adjusting timing in injection pump isn't really necessary and most guys said theirs ran great without doing so. Is this pretty typical? I wouldn't have a clue how to adjust that and not sure anyone around here would

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom