No-start Issues - Time to Replace Battery Cables? (1 Viewer)

Joined
Jul 29, 2016
Messages
3
Location
Oklahoma City
Hi All,

I've been having trouble starting my FJ80 with 220k miles. When I turn the ignition, I hear a click, and then nothing happens. I had both the battery and starter tested, and they both tested fine. I don't see any visible damage to the wiring.

I'm thinking that it's time to replace the battery cables. They don't seem super rusty, or blooming with corrosion, just what you'd expect an old vehicle to look like. Has anyone else had this problem before? Could the problem be anything else I am overlooking? Anyone know the OEM part numbers for the battery cables?
 
Joined
Jul 29, 2016
Messages
3
Location
Oklahoma City
Even though you have had the starter "tested" I would still open the starter solenoid and examine/replace the contacts and plunger as that is the most likely cause of your problem.

Thanks for the idea. I replaced the starter contacts, and the cruiser started fine for a few days. Then BAM, it stopped starting again. Ended up getting it started eventually by cleaning the battery terminals and connectors with a fine grain sandpaper. Turns out, there was a thin, barely noticeable amount of corrosion on the terminals. Just enough to prevent the cruiser from starting.

Fingers crossed that's all that the problem was, but I ordered new cables anyway just to be sure.
 

ppc

M Go Blue
Joined
Aug 18, 2003
Messages
3,369
Location
Nashville, TN
Make sure you neutralize any remaining acid on the posts/terminals and top of the battery by mixing up a combination of baking soda and water.
 
Joined
Jun 11, 2018
Messages
591
Location
Colorado
Ended up getting it started eventually by cleaning the battery terminals and connectors with a fine grain sandpaper. Turns out, there was a thin, barely noticeable amount of corrosion on the terminals. Just enough to prevent the cruiser from starting.
This is quite common. After I cleaned my terminals and clamps very well, haven't had an issue since ~ a year ago. I used the spray-on terminal stuff for topper. It takes only a microscopic film to exhibit the symptoms you outline here.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom