No speedometer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had my 80 idling in the shop the other day. Noticed that the speedometer started bouncing and then quit altogether. I've read on some of the posts there may be a second speed sensor. I changed the one at the rear of the TC on the driver's side. I'm just not sure where it might be? Thanks!

Had my 80 idling in the shop the other day. Noticed that the speedometer started bouncing and then quit altogether. I've read on some of the posts there may be a second speed sensor. I changed the one at the rear of the TC on the driver's side. I'm just not sure where it might be? Thanks!
What year and model?

I fixed my speedometer soldering on some wire links where the circuit was corroded. Search up on YouTube, a guy made a video on how to do it on an 80 series. Mines perfect now.

73123F22-6EC4-451E-B0D5-A4DFB6BF4944.jpeg

AD0EECCD-6069-47DF-A133-76EF8AEED575.jpeg

I'll check that out. Thanks!!
Watched the video over the weekend. Went ahead and pulled the speedometer. Looks brand new. No corrosion or burned places. Looks like I'm going to have to start checking the wiring between the VSS and the cluster. Thanks for the info! Really hoped I'd find something. I also noticed after reinstalling everything and test driving, that I have a "Cruise" light, but the cruise control does not work. Could I still have a bad VSS?

Well looks like you’ll have to get a multi- meter out and start testing the wires for continuity

does your cruise control work?

YES ---> REPLACE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
NO-----> VERIFY CONTINUITY BETWEEN CLUSTER AND VSS
  • IF CONTINUITY PASSES INSPECT / REPLACE VSS
  • IF NO CONTINUITY TRACE WIRE HARNESS UNTIL BREAK IS FOUND

Check the plug where it connects to the transfer case. I had corrosion in that plug that caused this problem.
Cleaned the contacts out with 400 grit paper washed with contact cleaner and applied silicon grease to seals. Got it back up and running.
When I took that plug apart last last fall to put in the speedo corrector, the contacts looked perfect after 2 years.

Check the plug where it connects to the transfer case. I had corrosion in that plug that caused this problem.
Cleaned the contacts out with 400 grit paper washed with contact cleaner and applied silicon grease to seals. Got it back up and running.
When I took that plug apart last last fall to put in the speedo corrector, the contacts looked perfect after 2 years.
Thank you! I'll check it out this evening!

Well looks like you’ll have to get a multi- meter out and start testing the wires for continuity

does your cruise control work?

YES ---> REPLACE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
NO-----> VERIFY CONTINUITY BETWEEN CLUSTER AND VSS
  • IF CONTINUITY PASSES INSPECT / REPLACE VSS
  • IF NO CONTINUITY TRACE WIRE HARNESS UNTIL BREAK IS FOUND
Working on that right now. I'll keep you posted. Thank you!

Well, how did you make out? Get your speedo up and running?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom