Next question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heater or fan?

Ahhh, the fan. However, the heater is KILLING ME!!! I don't have an "off" only on and on more. And it's ALWAYS hot. So I guess my stopper is not screwed in enough to cut off the flow for the summer. So far that's the only way I have found to control the heater...is that correct? It's like a sauna in that truck with all the heaters running (which would be good if this were January).

The fan switch is on the dash. On my '76 it's the lower left switch next to the "defog" and "recirc" sliders. If the fan is running continuously then either the wiring is bad or the switch has a short. It should have 2-3 speeds on it.

The heater valve should be adjustable. Find out which way the pull knob moves the valve to turn off the heat and then try and have the wire move the valve a little more in that direction. You'll need to release the clamp that holds the wire casing and move the casing slightly before reclamping it. I might have a spare heater valve here if you really need it (no guarantee's on functionality). I don't think I have a fan switch but I could check if you really need one.

I'll work with it a bit now that it is home. I haven't had much of a chance to monkey around with things yet because I've been trying to get the lift on and fix other things. Now that I have glass to replace what was broken and can seal the truck up, I'll start fussing with stuff like the heater. Thanks for the advice, it's priceless and much appreciated!

Do you have the early heater controls? The left one should say "fan pull" Push it in to stop the fan. the lever arm it self moves left and right and in and out.

Also, on early FJ55's I dont think there was a heater valve control inside the cab.

If you open the hood there may be a heater valve a la FJ40 style on the LH rear side of the cylinder head.

9/'72-9/'73 had a funky heater setup with a mix of earlier and later components.

Do you have the early heater controls? The left one should say "fan pull" Push it in to stop the fan. the lever arm it self moves left and right and in and out.

Also, on early FJ55's I dont think there was a heater valve control inside the cab.

If you open the hood there may be a heater valve a la FJ40 style on the LH rear side of the cylinder head.

9/'72-9/'73 had a funky heater setup with a mix of earlier and later components.

Yes, it does have a funky mix. I do have the early heater controls, left right push pull. But push doesn't shut it off, just slows it down. And there is a heater valve thingy inline on the heater hose to the driver side rear of the cylinder head. Weird.

Next question: For those of you that have replaced your weather stripping, I am having a hard time getting the doors to close with all that rubber everywhere. Does the OEM rubber that is on the doors go all the way around the doors or is it not on the bottoms of the doors? I don't have a pic.

Thanks!

Heather; yes, the weather strip goes all around the door.....you might check out posts 184 to 192 on the weather strip thread........if any snags?; give me a shout; HTH

Lou

Next question: For those of you that have replaced your weather stripping, I am having a hard time getting the doors to close with all that rubber everywhere. Does the OEM rubber that is on the doors go all the way around the doors or is it not on the bottoms of the doors? I don't have a pic.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom