1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie question - torque bars

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by ads4095, Feb 28, 2007.

1. ads4095

ads4095

G'day all, just signed up to the site. Im from Melbourne, Australia and drive an 81 FJ40 which im slowly building up as time and money permit.

I have seen that you guys have some wild trucks over there and was hoping someone could help me out.

I'm putting 60 diffs under my 40 and keeping it SUA. I also want to put a torque rod in the rear to keep everything solid and the pinion from moving. My problem is i have a late model 40 with the fuel tank under the body, and i can't see where i can put a crossmember in to mount the bar to (see pics)... as the fuel tank is in the way.
    has any one done this in a late model SWB 40 that can give me some advice??

Cheers,

Adam.

60 series diff stripped
    [​IMG]

view from behind rear diff looking fowrard... not much room...
    [​IMG]

You can kind of see here the distance from the rear diff to the fuel tank...
    [​IMG]

2. shelfboy1

shelfboy1

if im correct the tourque rod can go either way it could go to the rear and should still work seen them like that on some dirt track cars good luck

3. '74 UA FJ

'74 UA FJ

If you are staying spring under axle, I don't see the need for a traction bar.

4. ads4095

ads4095

Thanks guys, just had a quick search and found a few designs on here that i'll check out.

'74 UA FJ: At first i thought i wouldn't need one but i have recently removed a few leafs out of my rear packs and a few mates have noticed that the pinion moves up a fair way under acceleration... i am assuming that a trac bar will fix this...

5. '74 UA FJ

'74 UA FJ

Yes, if you removed some leaves then I can see where you might need one.