Newbie 350 conversion questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mace said:
The one you selected is not that much more powerfull than a stoc k 2F..
I can't fathom how this myth hangs around. The difference between a 2F and a TBI 350 in a 60 is night and day. You can't use raw HP or torque numbers to make such a comparision, you need to drive both to see how each rates.

The late '80s early '90s TBI 350s put out around 210hp and 300 ft-lbs of torque which is an improvement of 75 hp and 90 ft-lbs of torque over the 2F motors. The extra power should make taking the boat to the lake a lot more fun!

NorCal Cruiser said:
The extra power should make taking the boat to the lake a lot more fun!
Word. With my 2F towing my pop-up trailer often meant grinding along in second gear, with semis impatiently passing me on hills. A 350 swap later I was able to tow same trailer from Albuquerque to BHCC and back the whole time in 5th gear except for the odd fuel stop and rest break.

Hey, I just had another quick question so I thought I'd throw it on here- Does anyone know what it takes to adapt the power steering pump on a chevy to work with the stock toyota power steering? Is it just a matter of getting some brass fittings to adapt the hoses or is it more complicated?

Cheers

Sorry to hi-jack your thread but thought somebody here could answer my alternator question. I have a TBI 350 and the premier alt/welder set up. I know that I need a charge light to show draw on the alt to make sure it is charging, just wondering where it needs to go??

Alos since I replaced all my gauges with autometer how do I hook the alt up to the ampmeter??

Also would anyone with a 350 be able to tell me what ingnition wire I should have hooked up to tie the Toyota wiring into the new Chevy wiring.

Thanks Guys and hope you don't mind the added questions form a 350 newbie:)

http://users.apex2000.net/whardie/horse.html

Go read.

190 HP stock in a suburban..

If you are comparing the power of a new 350 to a 200K 2F then you have a point. However, it is not a myth that cruiser motors are not that much lower in Hp than a 350..

And I have driven both..

MandMAutomotive said:
I found there prices to be pretty expensinve and there service not the best. I also used the transfer case adapter from AA. I ordered engine and transmission mounts from Proffitts. I'm just trying to return the favor that I was given by the people on IH8mud . I posted on this site ready to order all parts from MAF because I did not know of any other places. Research lifts before buying.

So did you buy from us and experience our high prices and bad service first hand? We price all of our AA parts to be the same price or in a lot of instances cheaper than AA. We will also match prices on most items as well. I think I'm a pretty nice guy to deal with on the phone, and I always give as much info as possible.

The mud board is a great place to meet people and find all sorts of information, but you should really take everything you read with a grain of salt.

NorCal Cruiser said:
Hey, I just had another quick question so I thought I'd throw it on here- Does anyone know what it takes to adapt the power steering pump on a chevy to work with the stock toyota power steering? Is it just a matter of getting some brass fittings to adapt the hoses or is it more complicated?

Cheers

Its just a matter of adapting the fittings. I dont beleive anyone makes a hose ready to go, so you may need to take your old hoses and new hoses (or fittings) to a local shop to get some made. The low pressure side is easy, but the high pressure side should be done professionally.

edit: I'm an idiot and forgot this was the 60 section. We have a hose to do the conversion, or you could find a local shop to do it.
http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa/fj60saginawpspumpadapterhose.htm

Last edited:
NorCal Cruiser said:
I'd appreciate any info I can get-

I'm planning to swap a tbi 350 out of an '89 Chevy suburban into my 1983 fj60. I'm going to use an AA ranger torque splitter OD and I'm toying with the idea of buying an Australlian lo-ratio tranny from Man a fre to replace my stock 4 speed. While I have everything torn apart I'm going to throw on Man a fre's 4" OME lift and shackle reversal kit.

if you're talking about the h41 (i think) check the classified section here, bcon has some and he's in ummmmmmm, i forget but it's right next door to you.

baldredhead said:
if you're talking about the h41 (i think) check the classified section here, bcon has some and he's in ummmmmmm, i forget but it's right next door to you.

He is in that area yes, and his prices are cheap. But all of his stuff is used, so plan to do a rebuild or take your chances with a used one. I think bcon is pretty good with helping you out if you had any problems with it though. The low ratio 4 speed is the h41 yes.

I wouldn't use Painless for an aftermarket harness. I did it before and had problems.

I'd go with a Howell for sure next time............

http://www.howell-efi.com/

Good luck with your project........I'll be doin' my Ford in the summer I hope

:cheers:

Steve-O said:
So did you buy from us and experience our high prices and bad service first hand? We price all of our AA parts to be the same price or in a lot of instances cheaper than AA. We will also match prices on most items as well. I think I'm a pretty nice guy to deal with on the phone, and I always give as much info as possible.

The mud board is a great place to meet people and find all sorts of information, but you should really take everything you read with a grain of salt.

Steve you are right, Rick's reply was just his $.02. In all fairness we found a less expensive alternative rather than a lower price.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom